NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Smoking Fish

ERSS

Got a bunch of Henrys Lake cutthroats and Snake River browns in the freezer and plan to give smoking them a try. Got my hands on an old ( but new ) Smokehouse Big Chief smoker. A buddy said apple wood is the way to go. Having never done this before, I am open to any suggestions that will improve the final product. Biggest question now is, do I soak or marinate the fish before smoking it? or just put it on the rack and start burning wood?

Got a bunch of Henrys Lake cutthroats and Snake River browns in the freezer and plan to give smoking them a try. Got my hands on an old ( but new ) Smokehouse Big Chief smoker. A buddy said apple wood is the way to go. Having never done this before, I am open to any suggestions that will improve the final product. Biggest question now is, do I soak or marinate the fish before smoking it? or just put it on the rack and start burning wood?

I use alder for smoking. The folks that make the big chief have it down to a science, there are several recipes for brines in the link below. Follow all of their instructions to the T especially allowing the pellicle to form for an hour after rinsing from the brine. My favorite brine hands down is the recipe for Smoked Salmon Deluxe. Fillet your trout and debone if large enough, if not smoke them whole but place cavity side down on the rack with it spread open or prop them open with toothpicks so the smoke can reach the meat.

http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/downloads/LCRB.pdf

Another tip is put them straight on the racks after rinsing and set them out to allow the pellicle to form. Then you can just grab the racks and load them up in the smoker rather than doing it on a pan or something and transferring.

No problem. Smoking is addictive! :D

If you hunt birds try smoking some breasts, I believe there is a recipe in that link, if not I'll dig mine up.

I hang the fillets vertical so the oil drains off - put a toothpick through the fillet and hang it on the rack. (this also works for jerky and you can fit a lot more in there). When done I remove the skin and wipe off any remaining oil. Before I started doing that the fish would taste great, but they'd leave a notsogreat fishy aftertaste.

Appreciate the tips, and ability to learn from your experiences. Can already taste it !!

I hang the fillets vertical so the oil drains off - put a toothpick through the fillet and hang it on the rack. (this also works for jerky and you can fit a lot more in there). When done I remove the skin and wipe off any remaining oil. Before I started doing that the fish would taste great, but they'd leave a notsogreat fishy aftertaste.

Good advice. I'm going to try the hanging trick.

I forgot - the smokehouse smokers are just light tin and don't work very well if it is cold outside. I put the box around the smoker when it is cold to keep the heat inside - but the directions say this could cause a fire so they sell a safer one. Not a big loss if it burns as long as it is far away from anything important.

Oh, I was expecting to see a fish with a cigarette in his mouth. Sorry I can't help with this Smoking fish question. I can only offer to sample the finished product......and give my expert opinion.

The most important thing is to make sure you let the pellicle form, second is to not let the fish get hot 120-130deg max. If smoked at the right temperature you won't see any oil/fat come out of the meat. If you see white goo, you're too hot and/or didn't let a pellicle form. Still edible, just eat it first, as the oil/fat will turn rancid much quicker and it will be dry/chewy. I usually let it air dry for 4-6 hours, and use a fan. I live in a humid climate and temps rarely get into the 70's and generally very little wind. In the fall when I do most of my smoking it rarely gets much above 45-50. If I don't use a fan the fish will still be moist to the touch after 4 hours and no pellicle.

I have a propane smoker now, but used to use a couple Chiefs, they work well above 40 degrees and little wind, below that I used a blanket or tarp to keep the heat in. They make insulated blankets for them as well. With propane I get water vapor from burning the gas as well as a water pan, the fish have a different texture/moisture content than with the Chief which is a hot plate only.

Hit it hard with smoke for the first couple hours, then don't add any more wood chips. Too much smoke = bitter taste. I use cherry or apple for the sweet brine/rubs and alder or hickory for the more savory/salty meats. Seems to be a good complement.

I did this batch last weekend. I usually use a dry brine, 10:1 brown sugar to salt and a bunch of spices. The salt pulls the water out of the fish, and creates a brine. Don't want to let it brine for too long 24hrs tops, or you end up with jerky as it pulls all the moisture out of the flesh.

I tried a test batch using a "5 star" lemon pepper brine recipe I found on the net. The smoked version tastes more like a hot dog than smoked fish, but I cooked up a brined fillet on the grill and it was really, really good. Definitely a 5 star for the grill and about a 1 for the smoker.

I usually do about 60-70lbs a year or so. Fun to experiment with different methods and recipes, but always go back to my favorite recipe. The Big Chief recipe is very good as well.

fish_zpsa3862589.jpg

Thanks for your insight and tips Bambistew, I went to mix up some brine last night and realized I didn't read the Big Chief recipie close enough...had Iodized and not non-iodized salt. Gonna give it a go this weekend. My initial batch is bound to be significantly better than it would have been, due to the help I've had on here!

One last question, skin side up or down on the racks when it is in the smoker?

Attachments

• IMAG0109.jpg
    IMAG0109.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 149
I go skin side down...also I put it in the highest rack I can, my theory is it's farther from the element and all the smoke rises up and gathers at the top.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooterwallace78
Back