Smoked turkey breast

drahthaar

Whacked a turkey yesterday, decided to smoke it.

Just got the taste test done. Even the kids approve!! Wow, first time I have done that and it turned out awesome!

Didn't really know what I was doing, but it was boneless and skinless, and it even turned out juicy. I think the key to that was taking it out of the smoker and wrapping it in tinfoil right away.

I would like to hear some receipes for some marinades or rubs for your smoking ventures for next time.

Here was mine.

Coated the breast in olive oil. Then added the following liberally to what smelled good.

Black pepper
garlic
paprika
Johnnys Lamb and game seasoning

I coated it both sides and dropped it all in a zip lock for 24 hours. I have a wood fired grill/smoker, I used hickory wood in the firebox. Heated until the meat thermometer read 165 degrees. I kept adding wood to keep the smoke rolling. Took it out at 165 and wrapped in tin foil for 15 minutes(I read online that this will bring out juices), seemed to work.

Ya gotta take pictures of that stuff. Sounds delicious. I heard smoked is the way to go with those wild ones.

white and juicy on the inside, dark and peppery on the outside.

DSCN0571.jpg

I should have been doing this with these big 'ol birds a long time ago. Every other way I have tried to do wild turkeys turns them into shoe leather.

That looks delicious! You got me wanting to smoke some of mine!

This is not smoked, but the past few years I have been taking my breast meat and running it through a cuber a few times to tenderise. Saute the meat in a pan with garlic and butter. Mix cream cheese, dill, and lemon juice for a spread. Toast some kaiser rolls in the remaining butter and garlic in the hot pan. Spread the mixture on the roll, add a slice of tomato, and lettuce, slap a piece of meat on, and it is delicious!

Also would like to add:
don`t forget the thighs and legs. I had always throw those away but I have started to take the meat off the bones and running it through a grinder. Makes great turkey burger!

I smoked the legs too. Wanted to try it. We went to Disneyland back in Feb. They had these giant turkey legs smoked there. We bought a couple and they were great. Kids thought it was pretty funny chewing on GIANT drumsticks. So I tried it with these. They are tougher, but good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back