smoked trout recipies

220yotekiller

I have a bunch of trout in the freezer that need to be cooked up, I love to smoke meat, but I don't know about fish. What are your go to smoked trout recipies?

I use a dry brine, 6 parts dark brown sugar to 1 part non-iodized salt. Mix it together and sprinkle liberally over the fish flesh side up. You can layer the fish if you need to .Put in the frig overnight. It will be liquid in the morning. Wash the brine off and set out to dry. When the surface gets tacky sprinkle lightly with garlic pepper and smoke it at about 200 deg. Keep an eye on it and don't overdo it. Take it out when it starts to show some carmelization.

I do a simple brine. About 3 cups of water, 1/4 cup of salt. I use pickling salt, but I have a friend who tells me that if I use anything other than brining salt, I should be shot. A half a cup of sugar, sometimes a little more, and a good dose of teriyaki sauce.

Other than just eating it, I sometimes chop it up, mix it with sour cream, a little butter milk and some dill weed for a great dip.

I sometimes chop it up and make a terrific chowder out of it.

For a great treat I can it. Cut the salt and sugar in half for the brine then only smoke it for an hour or so. Then pack it in pint jars and pressure can it. You can leave the bones in, but I usually remove the spine, unless the fish are just real small. You scoop it out of the jar, put it on a Ritz cracker with a small piece of your favorite cheese, wash it down with a beer or a fine wine, if your so disposed, and life is good.

Use brine or seasoning of your choice and smoke at 225 using Alderwood (THE FISH WOOD) in the smoker. Do Not Over cook them!! At about 40-45 minutes check to see if they are cooked enough. A typical salmon fillet which might/probably be a touch larger than an average trout takes about 45-50 minutes and it's ready.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back