Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Small steel for knives?

Madman

I do all my own butchering and processing and have used the old knife steel to take the edge off the blades many times....after hunting Wyoming where you have to basically field butcher animals in CWD units to remove the spine, I'm looking for a hand held steel similar to the one in your kitchen knife kit. I'd like one with the handle but much shorter on the steel part, they all seem to be long. Don't need the extra weight. Anyone know of a place to get shorter steels? If not, I guess I'll cut one down to size using my shop equipment.

Thanks

WorkSharp makes a handy little field sharpener that is my go-to. Has a stone for heavy touch up jobs, plus a ceramic rod for light touch up, and a leather strip to deburr as a finishing touch. Works great, and it’s light enough to throw in your pack and leave it there.

thanks for the input, I'll do a search for that and see if it is up my alley. Do you have a model number or name? Google worksharp and they tend to focus on the powered items.

DMT makes some small steels, and small folding diamond sharpening stones that work very well.

One of the best steels I've ever used was one that Gerber used to make. It was flat, but had rounded edges to run like a typical steel. They don't make them anymore.

Back