Caribou Gear Tarp

Slugs for elk

I have no doubt slugs will do the job. I hunt in a shotgun only area for whitetails and we’ve shot loads of deer with them. I don’t know the effective range since we shoot most of ours close up, but I have mine dialed in for 100 yards. Haven’t had a need to shoot farther than that. I have a rifled barrel and have used Remington copper solids just about as long as I can remember. They work great
Yeah that’s pretty much the kind of areas that I would need them for just the shotgun bow only. Thanks to all this has really helped

I put a side saddle mount and 3x Nikon on my Remington 870 with the old 18-inch smoothbore slug barrel. Using old school Winchester 2-3/4 inch 1-ounce Foster-type 1,600 fps slugs it clover-leafed 'em at 25 yards, shot baseball-sized groups at 50, and softball at 75. Somewhere between 75 and 100 the slugs went subsonic and the groups fell apart, like garbage can lid-sized groups at 100. So I limit myself to no more than 80 yards tops.

I looked into the cantilever mount rifled sabot barrels but just couldn't bring myself to drop $350 when the original gun with bird and slug barrels only cost me $200.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back