Sleeping Pad

gregt9146

So were leaving next week for our Back Country Elk hunt and i have a question on my sleeping Pad. I bought a Big Agnes AXL sleeping pad for the trip and i am wondering if it will be warm enough with my western mountaineering 10 degree sleeping bag? I also have down coat and pants that i can wear at night.

Sort of depends where you’re going. Temps look better in MT for the next week or so (lows in the high 20s in Bozeman), so that setup would be more than adequate for that.

Were going south of Bozeman November 8-20th, and looking at the extended forecast i see some single digits to lower teens for temps so far for the first week that we will be out

Might want to toss a closed cell foam roll in the bag if space allows or a mylar type emergency blanket to lessen the heat loss to the ground. I put pine needles in a pile, lay a small doubled over tarp over that and put my Klymit pad on top of those. Works pretty well down to the low 20's with a simple base layer without bundling up on clothing.

I don’t know what the R value of that pad is, but if you’re worried about it you can always put a ridgerest or Z-lite under it for not too much weight.

Who knows if you'll be warm enough, lots of variables. If backpacking and I don't feel like carrying a whole extra CC foam pad I stick my glassing seat (a square piece of z-lite) under the main pad in the hip area. IME that's where cold ground and not enough pad will zap warmth the worst.

the uninsulated version is listed as "warm weather pad" without any R-value. The insulated is R-3. You can pick up a z-lite for under $50, it weighs less than 1 pound, and has an r-2 value. If you got the uninsulated I would add something. If you got the insulated you might be good, but I might also add another pad, because poor sleep due to cold ruins a trip for me.

It has an R value of 3 and i also have from seek outside the foam pad and the tyvek ground tarp

Back