Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sleeping Bag/Quilt

kroppr_77

Kind of an open ended question here, but what would you all recommend for a sleeping system in Idaho for late season? The temps for the units I’m looking at are mid 30’s for highs and around 5-10 degrees for lows. Would you go 0 degrees for the bag or get by with something like a 10 or 15? Also want it to be light enough to move and put in the pack.
Then for comparing a bag and quilt which is the better route? Quality quilts seem to be far more expensive, don’t know if that’s always the case. Also I’m a bigger guy at 6 foot 4, incase that affects anything.
Lastly I have a klymit pad right now thats not insulated. Could I get something like a foam pad to put under it, or just better off getting a new pad? And if so I’ve been looking at big Agnes and thermarest, if anyone has any feedback on these.
Thanks

I sacrifice other gear for a nice thick, oversized insulated pad, I herniated a disk in my back a couple years ago and sleeping right allows me to hunt longer and harder. When it comes to a bag I use a 15 and if it’s going to drop to zero I throw my puffy pants and jacket on. Most the time just sleeping in my clothes with a bag liner does the trick.

I sacrifice other gear for a nice thick, oversized insulated pad, I herniated a disk in my back a couple years ago and sleeping right allows me to hunt longer and harder. When it comes to a bag I use a 15 and if it’s going to drop to zero I throw my puffy pants and jacket on. Most the time just sleeping in my clothes with a bag liner does the trick.
What pad do you run, and do you think puffy pants make that big of a difference? Any insight or brands for that also?

I run an rei kingdom long I think. I’m not sure if they still make it. And the puffy pants are hands down the best investment I have made in hunting clothing. I got the first lite ones and like them a lot. I know stone glacier makes a pair too but haven’t seen them in person.

I’ve seen those on gohunt, I think I’ll invest in a cheaper pair first to see if I like them. I’m usually not too crazy on insulation, but I have yet to hear a bad review on them.

I’ve seen those on gohunt, I think I’ll invest in a cheaper pair first to see if I like them. I’m usually not too crazy on insulation, but I have yet to hear a bad review on them.

I ditched the long underwear, glass with the puffy pants on and when you start to hike you can pull them off. I always go with the idea buy something once. Not buy a cheap version and then upgrade, the cheap version may not cut it.

I tend to sleep hot and wear nothing but undies. I use a 20 degree Hammock gear Econ Burrow quilt and really like it. Stayed comfortable down to the high teens this fall in NM.

I tend to believe to buy a little more insulation than you think you need. You can always stick your leg out to regulate temp, unzip the foot box, etc... If you are cold, you can stuff more insulation into your bag per se unless you wear more clothes.

What pad do you run, and do you think puffy pants make that big of a difference? Any insight or brands for that also?

I have the big agnes Q-core, which I use for car camping and scouting trips, I also have the thermarest x-therm for hunting. Both are phenomenal pads. The xthem is mummy and way lighter, but it's not quite as comfy as the Q-core.

For Oct- nov hunts in CO I use a 15 degree bag and then a puffy jack and pants. They make a massive difference in my opinion. When sleeping puffy layers will keep you comfortable in your bag down to the bags rating. (The comfort zone is usually, 20 degrees higher than the rating so most people will be cold and have a hard time sleeping in a 15 degree bag when the temp is actually, 15 if they don't have added insulation... and most people don't bring a thermometer... so they are talking out there ass when they tell you how cold it was.

I tent camped in Jan, and the low was -2, I doubled up a 15 degree bag with a 20 degree bag + puffy layers.

I'm with @Dsnow9 if you get puffy pants get good ones, the price delta is what like $40, I have the First lite ones as well. Whatever you get make sure they are full zip. I sleep in mine and then also throw them on in camp or while glassing, they greatly extend the amount of time you are willing to spend on a ridge behind your glass.

If you are car camping I would just get a 15 degree bag and bring blankets or an old bag or something, if you are backpacking get a 0 degree bag.

I like my Enlightened Equipment 0 degree quilt and Q-Core. I just with the Q-Core came with a rounded foot to better fit the end of the quilt.

I have 2 different bags one is army issue ex cold bag I use for trips when im not packing in
the other is a 0 degree down bag. Id rather be a bit warm and open the bag than cold

Think I’ll go with a zero degree, anyone have issues with down vs synthetic? Just hear a lot that if down gets wet your trip is gonna be rough.
For the puffy wear, would you run just a down jacket or rather have something like the Sitka kelvin lite jacket. Again for the same reason when it comes to moisture.

Think I’ll go with a zero degree, anyone have issues with down vs synthetic? Just hear a lot that if down gets wet your trip is gonna be rough.
For the puffy wear, would you run just a down jacket or rather have something like the Sitka kelvin lite jacket. Again for the same reason when it comes to moisture.

A synthetic 0 degree bag will be absolutely massive, but a down bag will be expensive... that's basically the trade off.
I have been using a down bag for all my hunts including AK... my buddy in anchorage who does a ton of pack rafting and the like only has a down bag. Personally I wouldn't worry about it in Idaho.
Typically if it's super wet, like western Washington it won't be cold enough to need a 0 degree bag, and if it's well below 30 degrees heavy moisture wont be an issue so a down bag is the way to go.

In terms of clothes down is going to compress a lot more so you get more warmth for the size and weight. If your going for a light pack go down.

The other big difference is use case, synthetic is better for high exertion activities while down is obviously better for low exertion. So if you are the kinda person who is going to strip down to your base layer, pound out the climb to the ridge, then sit and glass down is the way to go. On the other hand if your still hunting through steep terrain, cold enough that you want a jacket... but enough movement that you're getting sweaty then a synthetic jacket is the way to go.

or simply put Synthetic all day jacket, Down sitting and standing around jacket.

I like a Synthetic vest that I wear all day, a down jacket I put on on the top of the mt, and synthetic pants in case I'm sitting in snow or the like.

Honestly, a lot of it is your personal preference.

Also don't overlook non-hunting companies, RAB, outdoor research, arcteryx, etc all make great gear. If I could get a pro-form or a sponsorship I would hands down be using more Arcteryx outerwear.

I wouldn't personally invest a lot in a high end quilt without trying one out for a few nights first. I used one for a summer backpacking for work and found the concept wasn't for me, but I only had about $100 into one. Sleeping bag re-sale is generally going to be a bit safer. If you end up liking quilts, by all means spend the cash for a good one if you can.

The compressability and lower weight of down are worth it to me for the places and style I hunt in. I do have a synthetic belay jacket I'll take now and then on trip that's expected to be real wet. Yes down is less lofty when wet, but it has to be totally saturated before it's useless, and even then it's not quite useless. I've had the treated down as well, still have a jacket in it actually, and I'll likely not own it again. It's fine, but the trade-offs are too much for what you get IMO. From a mid price point on up there aren't much for wrong answers for insulation in 2020, just what's more or less well suited to your needs.

For puffy pants there are lots of options: MH Compressor, Western Mountaineering, Rab, Montbell, etc....My favorite is the Montbell Tec Down pant from a purely performance per ounce standpoint. My go to is the Montbell Thermawrap pant, had the Integral Designs Denali pant, Rab Photon, WM Flight. All were good, just depends on what meets your needs and budget.

I bought a 30° synthetic fill quilt for early season archery last year. Temps got into the high 30's and I stayed plenty warm. But any colder and I don't think it would've been too enjoyable. I think quilts have there place and late season in frigid weather isn't when I would use one but to each his own.

I use a quilt and like it. I run a thermarest pad and it does good. My quilt is a 22 degree and I'm pretty good down to about 30 degrees and then I start putting on puffy stuff. Wearing puffy pants and jacket adds quite a few degrees to the bag. Bring a liner and you will add even more degrees to your bag. Puffy pants and jacket are super awesome once you start to glass after a hike. Game changer for sure and worth the weight.

Back