Sitka question

I'd even go so far as to say its not over marketed. Prior to Sitka and similar I don't remember any camo clothing marketing that wasn't selling a pattern that was then sold to clothing manufacturers. Like in recent memory did realtree/mossy oak make a line of clothing they advertised as buy X pant from us because it dries quicker or is warmer. You bought the Cabelas brand jacket in realtree green or the redhead waterfowl jacket in mossy oak shadow grass. Clearly the concept of your camo pattern defining the brand of clothing is a relatively recent development.

Fast forward to today, how is Sitka more marketed than Under Armour or Kuiu? Under Armour got the Shockeys, Cam Hanes, Remi Warren, the Drury's, Lee and Tiffany and the Kuiu catalogue cover is Jason Hairston repelling off a helicopter onto a mountain with a recurve bow. Sitka mostly just gushes really nice DSLR shots and funds high production hunting films and has much more low key tv show personality presence all things considered.

Sitka redid their base layers last year. I have always worn merino rather than the synthetic. I don't know what they did to their synthetics but I switched between the merino and synthetic almost daily on hunts last year ranging from AZ to AK and there was not one time I preferred the merino. I'm going to be putting all that up for sale to get more synthetics.

Cold Weather Hoody is a THICK sweatshirt. Not what I would pick for hiking but definitely a nice layer. The newest 90% pants are excellent; a great compromise between the Ascents and Mountain/Timberline. I always keep a Kelvin vest in my pack, and I like the Jetstream jacket a lot.

As far as over marketing, I don't pay much attention. All I know is I hunted at least 25 years before Sitka came out and I know what it is like to be uncomfortable. Since I started building a Sitka SYSTEM (one or two prices won't magically transform your Walmart gear) I've never been uncomfortable. And that's from 100 degree August antelope blinds to -23 degree mountain lion hunts. I've own most of the pieces and all of it is still going strong.

I like the mountain pants the best for early archery and mid year hunts with a base layer under them. The Ascent pants are good for the real warm early hunts but the material is not as durable as the mountain pants.

Check Ebay and other sites as you can get the Mountain Pants for around 120.00 That a pretty good deal.

I also can't hike in a base layer top under a shirt of any kind regardless of the temp. I just get too hot. I like to wear a cheap UA top or something similar and take it off once I reach our spot or where we plan to stop at our max elevation. I then put on a fresh shirt and go from there.

A few guys have already recommended the 'puffy' jackets, I'll add another vote for that piece of clothing. The jackets really take the chill off things when needed and yet are very light and compressible when not in use. I got a First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy jacket when it was on a good sale and have been very impressed.

Please let me know what's better, AND cheaper.

Kuiu. Hands down. In the products they make.
Obviously Sitka has a wider variety.
I don't think its crap. And its not 'over-priced' especially compared to UA's garbage.
The big box retailer has to get their share too.

You can't go wrong with Sitka. Its great stuff. But if the piece you are buying is something Kuiu also makes, you are paying more for less.

For the money, it seems that Cabela's stuff is pretty darn nice.
Then again W.L. Gore makes most of that too.

Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, MontBell, Marmot, etc... All make great 'backpacking, mountaineering' gear too. You can get a real steal on that stuff this time of year.

I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is. At 10k ft, on the trail, with your pack loaded up, there is a huge difference (especially pants wise). Or better yet, after two or three days up in the mountains in Sitka vs. Blue jeans and cotton clothing.

You can find deals and steals, you just have to be patient. At 40% off, its worth every penny.

For early archery, i'd go ascent. Also keep in mind Sitka is designed to be a layering system.

Honestly, I wear good old fashion BDU's just about all the time. I dress smart, use good base layers, and quality fleece. I hunt no lower than 7000 feet and up to as high as 10k. In all kinds of weather, but mostly snow and cold as hell. I've never had a problem. I've spent several winters in the mountains of Afghanistan wearing the exact same gear. If it took care of me while hunting Terry Taliban, it will take care of me hunting elk. The only thing I really make sure to spend good money on is rain gear, and of course boots. I think going out and spending upwards of 400 bucks on a pair of trousers, and jacket is just dumb. Is Sitka good quality? Sure it is, but it's also way over priced because of slick marketing. You can find good gear that will take just as good care of you if you look around, and think outside the box a little bit

Honestly, I wear good old fashion BDU's just about all the time. I dress smart, use good base layers, and quality fleece. I hunt no lower than 7000 feet and up to as high as 10k. In all kinds of weather, but mostly snow and cold as hell. I've never had a problem. I've spent several winters in the mountains of Afghanistan wearing the exact same gear. If it took care of me while hunting Terry Taliban, it will take care of me hunting elk. The only thing I really make sure to spend good money on is rain gear, and of course boots. I think going out and spending upwards of 400 bucks on a pair of trousers, and jacket is just dumb. Is Sitka good quality? Sure it is, but it's also way over priced because of slick marketing. You can find good gear that will take just as good care of you if you look around, and think outside the box a little bit

The guys wearing bdu's in ass krackistan are not doing so by choice. I promise you the tier 1 guys who do have a choice are not wearing GI clothing. Your GI boots got you through, but would you even think of wearing them hunting? No way.

Thanks for your service. I spent 6 months there myself shortly after 9/11. Unfortunately I was a staff puke and spent 90% of my time there running a mouse and keyboard.

I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is. At 10k ft, on the trail, with your pack loaded up, there is a huge difference (especially pants wise). Or better yet, after two or three days up in the mountains in Sitka vs. Blue jeans and cotton clothing.

You can find deals and steals, you just have to be patient. At 40% off, its worth every penny.

For early archery, i'd go ascent. Also keep in mind Sitka is designed to be a layering system.

The guys wearing bdu's in ass krackistan are not doing so by choice. I promise you the tier 1 guys who do have a choice are not wearing GI clothing. Your GI boots got you through, but would you even think of wearing them hunting? No way.

Thanks for your service. I spent 6 months there myself shortly after 9/11. Unfortunately I was a staff puke and spent 90% of my time there running a mouse and keyboard.
Right but i said i spent money on good boots, not GI boots. I was in a Tier 2 unit almost my whole career 13, of 17 yrs. We wore mostly issued gear with some slight exceptions. We wore the old woodland BDU's as well, not any of the newer MARPAT crap. Since there are only really 2 true Tier 1 units DEVGRU, and Delta, the argument is kind of invalid. I stood up the first MARSOC unit,and came from 2nd Force Reconnaissance Co, we wore BDU's in both units.

Which Sitka pants have the extra butt material? Or just more rugged?
I know the Mtn have knee pads & some cuff protection.
I like Micro-tex butt my butt gets poked & prodded just sitting glassing.
NM is hard on clothes.Looking for a more durable quiet elk & deer hunting pant.
I wear hiking pants early season here and layers for warmth later on or rain.
But I want a quiet bulletproof pants.

Which Sitka pants have the extra butt material? Or just more rugged?
I know the Mtn have knee pads & some cuff protection.
I like Micro-tex butt my butt gets poked & prodded just sitting glassing.
NM is hard on clothes.Looking for a more durable quiet elk & deer hunting pant.
I wear hiking pants early season here and layers for warmth later on or rain.
But I want a quiet bulletproof pants.

The Timberline Pants. I bought them last year and they are tough. Keeps your butt dry if you are sitting and glassing in snow or early morning dew. Love my Sitka gear...try to add a few pieces each year.

Right but i said i spent money on good boots, not GI boots. I was in a Tier 2 unit almost my whole career 13, of 17 yrs. We wore mostly issued gear with some slight exceptions. We wore the old woodland BDU's as well, not any of the newer MARPAT crap. Since there are only really 2 true Tier 1 units DEVGRU, and Delta, the argument is kind of invalid. I stood up the first MARSOC unit,and came from 2nd Force Reconnaissance Co, we wore BDU's in both units.

Not invalid at all. I was careful in saying those who were able to choose would not and do not wear bdu's. If bdu were the cats arse they would have worn them. The only reason our guys wore them was because it was mandated to have a top or bottom to reduce opportunity for friendly fire, and I suppose there is a Geneva convention component that the lawyers would argue over.

The beauty is its now about personal choice with respect to hunting. Everyone determines for themselves what is important and what isn't and buys accordingly. There are many who use redwing boots and think they are the bomb, while others wouldn't be caught anywhere near a mountain with them on their feet. Not right or wrong. I for one prob don't spend enough days in the mountains to justify Sitka or Kuiu. However I hope to some day spend considerably more. Therefore, I value the advice from folks who do like big fin, randy11 or greenhorn and have begun to buy accordingly.

I agree with Recon Doc.....you typically get what you pay for but every time we turn around there's another "thing" on the market that we "need", just can't justify it.

There is NO WAY anybody could climb a hill in a top end pant like Sitka and go back to a BDU or wool pant. It is apples and oranges. The Sitka stretches and moves with you, the wool or cotton fight against you every step. It is a huge eye opener. Don't theorize about it, give it a try. Night and day. You couldn't pay me to hunt in a non "technical" pair of pants again.

I have done my fair share of wandering around the mountains in BDU/ACU/OCPs, and if anything it just reinforces that there is much better stuff out there. Sure they work, and I wouldn't presume to tell a guy he shouldn't wear it, but especially once snow is on the ground I would rather wear solid color mountaineering clothes (which some of my hunting clothes are) than soaking wet cotton camo.

Now if a guy could find some Gen3 ECWCS in Multicam, that stuff is ok. Not super durable, but dramatically better than the cotton stuff.

Also, I never met a Taliban named Terry ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back