Sitka jacket

12 guage

What do you all recommend for a cold weather Sitka jacket ? I was looking at the incinerator or jet stream jacket, but undecided on which one.

The Incinerator is an extremely warm waterproof down filled GoreTex jacket. The Jetstream is wind proof jacket with some thin body mapping fleece for insulation. On is for sitting, the other for walking. What do you plan to do?

Yeah your not going to walk far in the Incinerator jacket. They are made for very different things, the Blizzard series is another great cold weather jacket from Sitka.

For some good bang for the buck, the new Taverse cold weather hoody is really nice. I layer it over some merino wool and a poofy down jacket or vest. Works great

Kelvin Down Hoody...preferably lightly used. A fuller fit than most of their line and generous down fill....very warm.

I wear the stratus for pretty much everything between between 10 and 50 degrees, its windproof and has proven to be effectively waterproof in everything but a downpour. If I have to add warmth I put a Kuiu superdown under it.

I would rather add or subtract layers rather than buy a super heavy coat that you will likely boil in while hiking. I use a 90's jacket and add a thinsulate vest, thermals, and cabelas micro fleece shirt if it's super cold. If it's wet I'll add a Sitka rain jacket. Both jackets have pitzips that unzip for ventilation. There are only a few times in Wyo and Colo that I've been cold with this set up in the middle of winter.

If I wore Sitka, I couldn't afford to hunt. mtmuley
The Traverse Cold Weather Hoody is really well priced (for Sitka) at ~$165. It's a mid layer, but with good base layers and a down jacket under if necessary, it'd be great for temps anywhere between the teens and 60s. I wore it with a Traverse Zip T and a First Lite Llano base layer last weekend turkey hunting with temps in the low 50s and pretty much constant misting and spitting rain and was warm and dry. It's got a DWR finish, but high winds do cut through a bit. I've found that Gore Windstopper and other windproof materials are generally pretty water resistant, but water resistant materials aren't always wind resistant.

Two of the most versatile pieces of clothing to come out for this season are probably the Sitka Traverse Cold Weather Hoody and the First Lite Corrugate pants.

Last edited:
Back