Sitka Gear Investment

stealthy_bowman

Well, after a long time thinking about it I have decided to bite the bullet and get some hi tech Sitka gear. I purchased the timberline pants, Jetstream jacket, core heavyweight bottom pyrite, core lightweight bottom pyrite, core heavyweight zip tee and a kelvin light hoody. Also picked up a beanie. All items in optifade open country except for the long johns. I’m pretty curious to see how this set up works out...

I love the Jetstream line and the Mountain line of jackets and vests. Gore Windstopper is an amazing product. I own vests and jackets in both lines and love them. I also own a Kelvin vest of which I think is a bit over rated and costly (not so impressed but eh, could just be me). I am also a big fan of Merino wool and believe in my heart of hearts and over 35years of hunting in every type of clothing, merino wool is BY FAR the best base layer hunting clothing regardless of season or climate and worth every penny you spend on it. Just my .02

I bought my first Sitka 10 years ago and that stuff is still like new. Just bought a new jestream jacket and core hvy wt zip in sub A and the light wt and mid wt in Ground Forest.

welcome to the rabbit hole...

Clothing aside, I'd also tell you the guys over there take supporting conservation seriously. The gear isn't inexpensive, but they are doing some incredible work with your support.

You forgot gloves. The gloves are awesome. I was a sceptic, but took the leap a couple years ago. IMO, worth every penny. I hunt solo mainly, so I have to depend on every piece of my gear, like my life depends on it.

My buddy after hunting with Sitka pants the first day, "It is like hunting in your pajamas!". So true. So comfy. Lasts forever.

ntodwild, I think the Kelvin vest might be my favorite piece of Sitka! Different conditions I am sure! I love mine for a cold MN whitetail hunt where it is less than 10 degrees out.

welcome to the rabbit hole...

Clothing aside, I'd also tell you the guys over there take supporting conservation seriously. The gear isn't inexpensive, but they are doing some incredible work with your support.

I wouldn't mind getting some but, way too expensive for me. My son says I don't need it anyway because I never get out of the truck. I just tell him there is no need to get out of the truck because I've seen him shoot. He's a smart ass like his dad. :ROFLMAO: (y)

My buddy after hunting with Sitka pants the first day, "It is like hunting in your pajamas!". So true. So comfy. Lasts forever.

ntodwild, I think the Kelvin vest might be my favorite piece of Sitka! Different conditions I am sure! I love mine for a cold MN whitetail hunt where it is less than 10 degrees out.
The Kelvin hoody is great also particularly in Montana when it is 6 degrees out.

I don't have the Kelvin Hoody. It was on my wish list. Then I won and Incinerator Jacket so I might not need the Kelvin Hoody. I wonder which one is warmer, Kelvin Hoody or Incinerator??

I think you'll love the pants, they are awesome!
I am considering the Kelvin lite pants vs the blizzard bib pants. Any thoughts in either of these in late season mountain hunting elk and mule deer. Are the kelvin pants enough to keep warm if I am layering the heavyweight bottoms with timberline pants? Also, I am going to use this system to sit for whitetail in late November in the mid-west. Temperatures that usually get anywhere from 32-0 degrees F with a slight wind (elevation around 1200 ft, so not very much altitude). I basically want this system to function as my mountain and whitetail system. I used my jet-stream jacket and timberline pants for white tail with a underwear thermal layer from cabelas and my carhart bib overalls and it worked great for whitetail. I'm planning on a late season elk rifle hunt and mule deer and wanted to upgrade my clothing gear for colder weather. I know in the mountains at 10,000 feet the snow and cold weather is very real; even starting in mid September. Doing an off season gear check and ready to upgrade. I really love the sitka line. It fits great and quality is awesome. Would the blizzard bib pants be overkill; or in the long run should I just bite the bullet and choose them over the kelvin lite pants because they are heavier and more features? Thoughts? Any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks! I was planning on possibly getting some sitka heavy weight bottoms (long johns) to go with the kelvin light pants if I didn't go with the blizzard pants. I do like layering the merino system.

For the kind of hunting I do a lot, I really like the Kelvin lite pants as a supplemental over layer. I'm generally a very mobile hunter (on foot), and usually hike my ass of each day. The key word with these pants is supplemental. They allow me to regulate body temperature, I can put them on when It's really cold in the morning, when the temp is dropping, or if I'm going to sit stationary for awhile and glass. I generally don't hike with these pants on, or if I do it's just a short walk to my glassing spot. I can also shed them pretty fast, which is great if I want to cover ground, or if it's simply getting warmer while glassing. Also, these pants don't have the same abrasion resistant exterior as other Sitka pants do, again they are for supplemental warmth. As for long johns, I personally have found the heavy weight bottoms to be too much, but again I'm moving a lot and I get hot easily.

I don't own the Sitka blizzard bib pants, but If I happen to be hunting from a quad in November I do have heavy duty insulated bib pants for that very purpose. Wind chill can be brutal when driving around.

I guess it all depends on what kind of late season rifle elk/mule deer hunt you'll be doing. Is it from a quad, truck, or on foot? Do you need layers that you can shed quickly, or do you want something warmer/heavy duty? As for hunting whitetails, I haven't had the opportunity to pursue them, so can't comment on that one.

I think your answer is spot on for what type of western hunting I do. Lots of hiking and glassing. It depends if im on my quad riding around but yes I am known to be more of a hiker now and secondary trail rider on a quad. My only concern is the durability of the pants but if you utilize them the way you say you are, they sound exactly what I'm looking for....Have they held up well over the years? I think they would hold up well for sitting and whitetail. THey are considerably cheaper than the blizzard bibs and they still have the sitka build and quality. I love my Kelvin lite jacket. Thank you for your help and suggestions (y)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back