Caribou Gear

Single Shot Rifles ?

Steiny

Do you guys watch the hunting shows on the outdoor and OLN channels? What's the story on all of these dudes hunting with those Thompson Center, single shot, break open rifles? TC must sponser the heck out of all those shows, as they'd have you believe that is the best weapon available for hunting.

Don't know about you guys, but I started hunting with an old break open shotgun, and really looked forward to the day I could put that POS away and get a good pump or auto loader. I'll be danged if I'd handicap myself with one of those single shot rifles, with so many better options available. Remington, Ruger, Browning, Weatherby, etc. better get going on some sponsorships before all those TV hunters have the kids all believing a TC single shot is the way to go.

Between that junk, hunting out of tower blinds over feeders, and the ATV adds, I about puke evertime I watch those shows.

Well, I have 2 Ruger #1 s that I use and I don't feel handicapped with either of them. As for the shows, if they make you about puke everytime you watch them, then maybe you shouldn't watch them. ;)

I would personally prefer videos of western style diy hunting but it's kinda hard to hide the camera crew and the 3 or 4 guides they use for calling and game triangulation to improve the odds of a money shot. And let's not forget the honey holes they are privy to access. There's an ad every 2-3 minutes...selling is tantamount, period.

Yea, i'm sure Thompson spends big $$$ for Bill Jordan and Jeff Foxworthy to carry those Encores but they are still very good rifles. Realtree, Nikon, and Matthews get plenty of airtime also. I like the #1 Ruger singles personally and they have never failed me when I've done my part but, then again, I like and own the bolts too.

I don't mind most of the videos as they are better than nothing but I really don't like it when the contrived "I scored the winning touchdown" celebrations occur. Will Primos seems to be the most reverential of the bunch although some of the other hunters in his productions get a little carried away. Almost forgot; I really respect Wayne Carlton and watch his stuff every chance I get.

I have to admit though...maybe i'm a little (or a lot) jealous :D :D

I really like the looks and simplicity of most single shot rifles, but with the way I shoot I NEED to have a bolt action for the extra shots |oo

The falling block action on the Ruger One is not much slower than the bolt with a little practice. The trigger guard release on the Thompson is pretty slick but requires more time to reload, to me that is.

The excitement about hunting with a single shot is like hunting with a muzzle loader or a bow. You usually only get one shot, so you have to make it count. I'm not a proponent of the TC rifle because I don't like the way they feel or fit. So I use rifles that fit me. I do know a couple of people who hunt with TC's and they both love em..

:cool:

I'd say 90+% of the time you generally only have one shot anyway, so a single shot is of no disadvantage and isnt like shooting a muzzleloader at all. As NHY pointed out, you can reload one in a hurry if need be.

My wife has killed a pile of game with her ruger #1 25/06...

The only thing at a disadvantage is the unfortunate animal that winds up in her scope...

Those TC's are nowhere even in the same league as a Ruger #1. The Rugers are fine rifles, and I'd like to own one someday myself. That TC however looks like a toy. You know dang well it wouldn't be the rifle of choice for most of those TV dudes, if not for the sponsorship.

Maybe they're easier to haul on an ATV ?

The Ruger falling block looks pretty simple to the eye but I believe it actually has over 50 parts. An exploded view is pretty amazing. Smooth as silk and positive lockup every time. Keep it clean and don't mess with the foreend attachment screw & it will do it's job consistently. Aesthetically, I prefer it's lines over the $4grand Dakota 10.

I truely believe that I am as fast with my #1 as I am with any bolt action. I have shot bucks at 45 yards and with them running flat out busted them again 10 yards from my stand. And like Buzz stated, They are just so dang accurate, it just swings into place and boom, start the dragging! My son begged me to borrow the #1 last year and the screw holding the release lever and spring in place fell out :confused: Now I need to find a good gunsmith. It does'nt look envolved to repair but it's book says it must be sent back to the factory, is this because it's part of the gun's action? John

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back