Silver Dog Howler

Doug

fce865ca.jpg

My Christmas present arrived in the mail today. It's a Silver Dog Howler made by Steve Nordstrom. It has a darn nice sound and is pretty easy to blow too. Steve has a web-site if you want to see what he sells.

http://www.varmintcaller.com/Products/products.htm#Order

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-21-2002 20:19: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

I'll bring this back to the top for PC Mechanic. This is the howler I use, and yes it does take some practice to get a good sound from an open reed howler.
wink.gif

Doug

How do you use those open reed calls, Doug,I'm having an awful time,I sound more like a cow that's been hit by a truck than anything.

When I try,it starts out way too deep,and no matter how I try I can't get that high pitched whine on the end.

PC the closer you get to the tip of the reed the higher the pitch is. If you look on the bottom side of the bridge you will see T H M L the T is for tip the H is for high pitch the M is for midrange and the L is for low. For the higher pitch's start half way in between the tip and green band. Also make sure that your teeth are resting on the reed and not your top lip. Make sure that you are not biteing the reed. It is more like useing your teeth to hold the reed to the bridge, with just enought pressure to keep the reed down.

ok,maybe that's the problem,I've been biting the reed.I'll keep trying,but right now it sounds like somebodies stomping a goose to death.

PC I under stand what you are going through, I just went outside with my slydog howler and tried it like you have posted. That is a unique sound fur sure.

I don't think I use a pound of pressure with my teeth against the reed. I was trying to guesstamate, I am about half way down the bridge. When it is right what a sweet sound.

I have the Primos video tape that came with a couple of distress calls. It demos their predator calls. If you want I will send it to you so you can get an idea of how they howl. They explain how to use their howler.

Back