Silly Wife question:

Phaseolus

My Wife has become convinced that the air conditioner blows colder when the vent brings air in from the hot outside. The laws of physics seem to me to mean the air will be colder on recirculate. Am I wrong?

My Wife has become convinced that the air conditioner blows colder when the vent brings air in from the hot outside. The laws of physics seem to me to mean the air will be colder on recirculate. Am I wrong?
That’s the whole damn reason for the cab recirculation switch that activates when you hit max a/c driver!

I might screw up my undergrad Thermodynamics here but you can tell your wife that she may be right in the fact that the rate of cooling will be higher with hotter outside air due to the higher delta of temperatures. You can juxtapose your positional authority by saying that the energy efficiency (cost savings) should be greater with the recirc. Someone who has been through their engineering science courses more recently might have a better answer.

I might screw up my undergrad Thermodynamics here but you can tell your wife that she may be right in the fact that the rate of cooling will be higher with hotter outside air due to the higher delta of temperatures. You can juxtapose your positional authority by saying that the energy efficiency (cost savings) should be greater with the recirc. Someone who has been through their engineering science courses more recently might have a better answer.
Huh? mtmuley

You're both right.

When u first get in the 125 degree vehicle in the parking lot, the AC will blow colder from outside air. (She's right.)

Once the temp inside the car gets to outside air temp or below, AC will blow colder on recirc. (You're technically correct...but she's still right!)

You're welcome. ;)

@BrentD has the technically correct husband answer.

That aside, what she may be experiencing could be explained by humidity differences between the air sources. Humidity effects perception of temperature.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back