Sight Partially Blocked by Riser

NV_PackMule

Bow: Diamond SB-1
Rest: Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro
Set up by pro shop

I paper tuned (at 10 ft) and the rest needed a lot of adjustment to get the arrow tip holes inside the fletching. I then nock tuned to get a little cleaner paper tears. I also put lipstick on the fletching to make sure I wasn't hitting the cables or rest housing while on the way out.

When I took it out to 20 and 30 yards I needed to move the sight's windage quite a bit and now the sight housing is about 1/3 blocked by the riser. I can see the pins fine, but this doesn't seem right.

I plan to go back to the shop this weekend, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

As far as I can tell I'm not adding torque to the bow. Even if I draw back and grip with my thumb and index finger I get the same results.

Most manufacturers give a centershot measurement in the specs. This is a starting point. Set your centershot to that or even eyeball the string down the arrow from behind...this is a starting point. Now do a walk back test or modified french tuning from there.

If you have to move a rest that far out of center shot to “tune” it, something is seriously wrong. Either your bow is out of spec or you are torquing the heck out of something.

Edit: I just looked at these, you need to go back to the shop and reset all specs, then have them help you yoke tune it.

Since I'm still fairly new to archery, I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm adding torque. After doing more research I think I am putting uneven pressure on the grip with my bow hand. Not necessarily twisting the bow, but the draw is not directly in line with center. I will try to paper tune again tomorrow and see if anything changes. I'll report back then.

Go to a bow shop and have them critique your form. They can tell you for sure if you're torquing the bow and can give you a few pointers. Being new to archery I'd hate to see you making a mistake right from the get go that can get compounded over time.

It’s easy to tell if you are torquing the grip. Have someone stand behind you at full draw. The string should come straight off the cams. If it’s at any sort of an angle you are applying torque.

UPDATE:

Just got back from the shop. I'm happy to say we identified the problem. There were a few smaller issues we identified. I had a little too much facial pressure on the bow so we resolved that by decreasing my draw by half an inch. I was torquing the bow a little bit, but that was not the source of the bad tears.

The main issue was the arrow rest. I have a trophy taker smackdown pro and it was not rising all the way at full draw. There was still tension in the string due to the limbs not flexing enough. We retied it further out on the limb and that seemed to fix that problem. A little adjustment and I was getting my bullet holes.

The rest was also moved back to its original position, thus moving the sight back out and not blocked at all.

Thanks everyone for replying to this thread.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back