sight for my 30-30?

Djfan

I have a 1943 Winchester 30-30. I can't hit a thing with it. I gave it to the local gunsmith and told him to figure it out. He can't hit anything either. Turns out that the rear sight is not original. He's talking $200 to fix it.

Does anyone know if I can put a Williams or one of the other ones on it? I know it's a general question, but these sights are going for a lot less on Ebay than the gun smith is talking about.

Thanks.

I have a 1943 Winchester 30-30. I can't hit a thing with it. I gave it to the local gunsmith and told him to figure it out. He can't hit anything either. Turns out that the rear sight is not original. He's talking $200 to fix it.

Does anyone know if I can put a Williams or one of the other ones on it? I know it's a general question, but these sights are going for a lot less on Ebay than the gun smith is talking about.

Thanks.
Paging @p_ham

I don't think Winchester started drilling those for receiver sights until the early 50's. That being said, having 2 holes drilled and tapped shouldn't run more than $50.

Skinner does offer aftermarket sights that will fit your rear sight dovetail.

When you say "can't hit anything" could you elaborate on that? It could be more than just a sight issue.

Here is the skinner @p_ham put on mine

I don't think Winchester started drilling those for receiver sights until the early 50's. That being said, having 2 holes drilled and tapped shouldn't run more than $50.

Skinner does offer aftermarket sights that will fit your rear sight dovetail.

When you say "can't hit anything" could you elaborate on that? It could be more than just a sight issue.
It shot very high. In fact, one of the easy fixes might be to get a higher front post, according to the gunsmith. It would mean that I can't have the hood on it, and I like that look.

It shot very high. In fact, one of the easy fixes might be to get a higher front post, according to the gunsmith. It would mean that I can't have the hood on it, and I like that look.
The Williams sights are good.
If it's shooting high your only options are a shorter rear, or taller front.

My Dad had a Winchester 3030 back in the 90s. That thing shot all over the place.
We used to joke that that rifle would shoot around a corner. I thought it was him so I shot it off my bench. I cleaned it, used copper solvent on it , tried various ammo and never could get it to any better than 3-4 inch groups. And they were inconsistent. He gave the rifle to one of our employees who felt he could get it shooting. Not sure ifbhe ever did get it straightened out.

Just one more possible solution of many, if the issues is aiming.

mva-1886winchester.jpg

That tang sight might happen it the "fix" doesn't work.

He put a taller front pin on it. Seems to work so far. I hit 25 yards, 50 yards, and a 100 yard shot today.

How far are you all shooting yours out to?

That tang sight might happen it the "fix" doesn't work.

He put a taller front pin on it. Seems to work so far. I hit 25 yards, 50 yards, and a 100 yard shot today.

How far are you all shooting yours out to?
200 meters - in competition. Furthest I've taken game was a pronghorn at about 160 as I recall.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back