Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Side Planers

idahofishnhunt

I've always used the Luhr Jensen Hot Shot Side Planer in the past...which the ones I have are actually pink they are so old. Just wondering if there are any new and improved ones out there that anyone has used that work as good or better then this one...as much as I'd love to keep it old school, if there is one that is less of a PITA to hook up that would be fine with me.

I've used Offshore planer boards, those in the link above, for years. They work good. Just don't use them with Fireline or other superbraids. The snaps do not hold tight enough on that thin diameter line.

I'm a big fan of the Church Tackle boards. Variety of sizes, track really well, and they can be used with super lines. Cheaper than Off Shore boards and they work better in my opinion. Off Shore's would be my 2nd choice.

I'm in the market. Thanks for the information. Do you have a preference for a down rigger?

I get by OK with the OffShore and fireline if I wrap the line around the clip once so that the line goes thru the pads twice and when pulled down tight it cinches down around the clip.

I use offshore and purchased the clamp style clips they work great with braided lines.

Offshores will work for what you are doing but there is a left and right keep in mind. They don't work real well high seas or white water because they have a tendacy to dig in. You might want to upgrade your release if using a deep diver. I don't use the tattle tail flag.

I pull plugs for steel with boards from shore. Did it in the Great Lakes and I do it in ID. Off Shore boards are not a good choice for it. Get a port and a starboard Church TX-6 and thank me later. Small but can handle any steelhead plug and get it out into the current. If you are fishing Chinook sized tackle the TX-12 might be a better bet. I've caught a lot of fish on those boards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back