Shredded Venison shank

devon deer

Hi All,
This is a very tasty dish, slow cook a venison shank until the meat falls of the bone, then shred it all up with a fork, slowly cook some thin sliced onions in butter until soft, then add tablespoon worcester sauce, teaspoon tomato puree, 1/2 teaspoon marmite, and 1 tablespoon sugar to caramelise the onions, then mix in the meat, pack the mixture tightly into a mould, i then let it cool and reheat in microwave or use straight away.
I also poach an egg for the top, also a spoon of mango chutney and a slice of bread, in the picture its focaccia.
Yumee!
Cheers
Richard
01032012165.jpg

Looks beautiful. I'm quite sure you lost almost everyone here with the "marmite" inclusion as its not used here in the states. . I do know what it is, and I'm quite sure I would leave it off, even in this small amount!!! (not my cup-of-tea!!)

devon deer, your dish looks great! I spent some time in the late 80s in the north of England on some military bases . Sure could have used someone with you talent ,as i remember 3 meals a day of boiled mutton,caned beans,and boiled new potatoes.

Spook, boiled mutton, that sounds yuk!
Things have moved on a bit since the 80's
Did you get any hunting done when you were over here?
Cheers
Richard

devon deer, no hunting . I spent some time with some of your special forces,and saw on several occasions what they called''THE QUEENS DEER''. They were much smaller than our southern whitetails. Wish i had inquired more ,seems like a lifetime ago.

Last edited:
devon deer ,i thought about this all day. If i remember correct the deer i saw seemed smaller. They were lighter in color and the females had spots,or light markings on the hind quarters.the males had much smaller antlers than the vid you posted,they looked like an elks antlers only MUCH smaller. I had to drive a lot today which gave me time to think about your beautiful country.I remembered sitting in a pub having a pint watching football/soccer, and feeling like a fish out of water,as i know nothing about your national sport.

devon deer ,i thought about this all day. If i remember correct the deer i saw seemed smaller. They were lighter in color and the females had spots,or light markings on the hind quarters.the males had much smaller antlers than the vid you posted,they looked like an elks antlers only MUCH smaller. I had to drive a lot today which gave me time to think about your beautiful country.I remembered sitting in a pub having a pint watching football/soccer, and feeling like a fish out of water,as i know nothing about your national sport.

Hi Spook,
I have asked several deer hunters i know which species is the queens deer, all drew a blank.
The deer you describe sounds like a fallow deer, which i believe are the deer in the video.
You won't get me in a pub watching a game for pussies, like you i would be a fish out of water, however i would watch a mans game, rugby!
Cheers
Richard

Back