Shotguns and LOP

Dougfirtree

The discussion about upland autoloaders has rekindled my desire to replace my waterfowl gun. Currently, I'm using an 870 wingmaster with a 30" barrel. It's got nice figured wood and is kind of shiny and I hate to beat it up and I hate that long barrel.

I'd love to replace it with a synthetic, camo autoloader. Where I get stuck is that my LOP is really long (15.5"). The only shotgun I have that actually fits me is a 20 gauge pump that my brother and I made a rear stock for. Having a shotgun that fits has really made a difference in my upland shooting and so if I were going to spend a bunch of money on a new shotgun for ducks, I think I'd want something that could be made to fit.

Are there any synthetic, camo autoloaders (or pumps) out there that have an adjustable LOP system that allows for such a long LOP?

Beretta for sure and Benelli (I think) both come with spacers you can add in front of the recoil pad to increase LOP. Not sure they will get you to 15.5, but pretty close. If you are hunting ducks in cold weather, my experience has been to shorten my LOP on waterfowl guns to accommodate all the extra clothing needed. I usually shoot 15” LOP, but like 14.25 on my duck gun. Of course, your mileage may very.

The discussion about upland autoloaders has rekindled my desire to replace my waterfowl gun. Currently, I'm using an 870 wingmaster with a 30" barrel. It's got nice figured wood and is kind of shiny and I hate to beat it up and I hate that long barrel.

I'd love to replace it with a synthetic, camo autoloader. Where I get stuck is that my LOP is really long (15.5"). The only shotgun I have that actually fits me is a 20 gauge pump that my brother and I made a rear stock for. Having a shotgun that fits has really made a difference in my upland shooting and so if I were going to spend a bunch of money on a new shotgun for ducks, I think I'd want something that could be made to fit.

Are there any synthetic, camo autoloaders (or pumps) out there that have an adjustable LOP system that allows for such a long LOP?
Another thing to include would be an aftermarket recoil pad. Could help get you to (or closer) to that 15.5" mark.

Both of the above points are good.

I've heard of guys that add recoil pads in off season/warm weather to get a little extra length, but then take the pad off when bundled up in the duck blind. Most of the guns I've seen also include spacers that will get you at least most of the way to 15.5".

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back