Shotgun for youths/ladies?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

I'm looking at picking up a 20 gauge for my daughters and my wife to use. Does anyone on here have any experience with the Weatherby SA-08 Youth model, or the Franchi 720 Youth model? The Stoeger Condor O/U 20 Youth?

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Weatherby, unless someone can give me a compelling reason to go otherwise.

Thanks.

I would have your daughter and wife see which one fits them the best. Every model is slightly different and the gun that fits them the best is going to give them the best results. Since you don't aim a shotgun, but instead point it, the gun should put your eye looking right down the barrel when you bring it up to your face. If they can both find a gun that gets them close to this position then you will have a winner.

My son shoots the Mossberg 500 in 20 ga. He is 8 and handles it just fine. Granted he is big for his age but he has no problem shooting it confortably.....:cool:

No experience with the weatherby but have both the Stoeger and the Franchi. The Stoeger is heavy and tough, could use it as a canoe paddle if you needed. The Franchi was much more comfortable for my son to shoot. Now he is 6'1" 180 and the youth models are in the gun case hoping for grand children to use them.

Nemont

I agree that you should take them to the store, let them be part of the decision and they will enjoy it more. Plus one will feel better then others to them. While the moss 500 is not the prettiest, it's cheap and works well. Comes with mid bead and 3 choke set, easy to use, and offered in a number of configurations. If/when they are no longer using it, piles of after market accessories to turn this gun into a great gun for you. Home defense, slug gun, compact upland gun, etc. Better guns out there, none for the money for what it sounds like you need. The wbys are pretty but have function issues, same with franchise, the newer 870's are garbage. The stoeger shoots well but is heavy and bulky and still kicks pretty good. They shoot well though.

Test them for eye dominance. If either one is left eye dominant that limits your choices. My daughter is right handed but left eye dominant. Her first gun was a youth Browning pump (bottom ejection). She now shoots a Citori. With the advent of sites like GunBroker its harder to find inexpensive used guns, but ask around locally. If your patient you can still find some good deals.

I bought my wife a Mossberg 500 youth 20 gauge. Shes short and this is her first long gun. We started by going to a few different retailers and she shouldered many. She ended up liking the Mossberg because "it feels good". Shes only going to shoot trap with it and I had her try a few O/U. The Condors are nice guns for the money. I had one in a 12 gauge that I let go. Wish I still had it.

the 1100 points and shoots well, and the recoil is super mild. very few people dislike them

20 guage-ladies

i got my 2 daughters in law a cz 20gu semi-automatics youth model when they married my sons.they look good,they dont have heavy recoil and they are semiauto so they can be operated easily. they were both around$400 also brand new. my one daughter-in-law is now inviting her friends to go shooting w/her. these girls never fired a shot b4 they meant my boys. i for 1 would never get a woman a pump or single shot if i could afford a s/a. i dont like recoil and i suspect most ladies dislike it also.my s/a weatherby 12 gu. works great also,i just have to keep it clean.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back