Shotgun for my wife

Fit and recoil is far more important than weight. What's the average weight of a shotgun, 71/2 pounds, which is about the same as the average weight of a newborn baby. We can carry a 7 1/2 pound shotgun on a hunt without a problem. In fact a lighter weighing shotgun will increase recoil which can turn a female away from hunting faster than weight.

Make sure the shotgun fits her, and make sure it has a very good recoil pad on it, plus make sure she is given proper instructions on how to use the shotgun. Proper use of the shotgun also helps one enjoy using the shotgun. Personally I would suggest a 12 gauge but if you want to get something smaller I would suggest a 28, not a 20.

I would also suggest a semi auto, which will also help with the felt recoil.

My grandparents and parents have hunted all their live, but they still spent the money to hire an instructor. ( a female instructor )

Best of luck to her and to both of you in finding the shotgun that works for her.

I assume you are still with us, as I dont see a post from you since you ask your question

Randi, I would say that fit is a BIG part of recoil and no one should have to carry a 7.5# 20 gauge. Even my bigger 12s are lighter than that. I would not expect her to even consider a gun that is 7# or above. Even 6.75 is heavy for a 20.

Further, tube magazines put the weight (when loaded) way out front, which is extra difficult for people with shorter limbs and lighter weight. It's just cantilevered out there.

We handle and evaluate guns off the rack, in the stores, with empty chambers. That's not what we carry in the field. Nor do we carry them for very long in the store. What seems reasonable for 10 minutes in a shop is NOTHING like what it will feel at then of a 4 hr high, with a loaded magazine in rough country.

If this woman was to show up at the local trap range here, she could have a dozen different guns to swing and shoot. Some longer, some shorter, some heavier some lighter, and probably ten people with more knowledge of gun fit than the average counter money at a local gunshop or a big box store like Sportsman's Warehouse.

Personally, I think she would be far happier with some sort of twin-tubed gun in a 20 gauge than any semiauto ever made.

Just for a point of reference, for the last two years, I shot and hunted with a mere slip of a lass that I seriously doubt weighed 100 lbs. She started as a complete neophyte nonshooter. Yet she shot my wife's 20 SKB 100 (25.5" barrels < 6#) every week at a trap range for most of the first summer and then bought her own Spanish O/U from one of the club membes for the hunting season and the following year of trap and hunting. It fit her well, and it was definitely under 7#. Probably right about 6.5# or a tad less. She shot it really well and without a problem. By the end of the summer, she became a pretty darn good trap shooter and waterfowler with it. BTW, it was a 12 gauge. But hand her even a cut down semiauto with a full mag and she would just about tip over.

If recoil turns out to be that big of a problem, put a mercury tube in the butt, which will help reduce recoil while also keeping the weight back next to the torso where it will be much easier. But this is very unlikely to be necessary.

I respect your opinion but have had different experiences. You post does certainly gives the op something to consider and when he does he should definitely think about what you said about the girl your speaking about who only weighs 100 lbs and someone like myself who is nearly 6 ft tall and a bit heavier. He can and of course should take the size of his wife into consideration, her fitness level, strength level, which of course is why everyone is preaching "fit"

You have far more experience and knowledge than I Brent so I will bow out and wish the op's wife all the best and the op should bear in mind that the men on this forum have more knowledge and experience than I

(-: yes, no, maybe (-;

My side by side 12 ga weighs over 7 1/2 pounds, but my granddaughters 20 weighs closer to 6. I prefer mine, or did when I was still hunting anyway. However, after using a borrowed semi auto when dove hunting in Argentina I bought one and used it --a lot. It is 7 1/2 pounds and I dont remember ever getting tired using it for upland or waterfowl, but I was never involved in completion shooting---except for who filled their limit last and had to buy dinner for doing so. People who are in competition shooting that I have spoken to after they went on a dove hunt in Argentina, have told me that you shoot faaaaar more during the dove hunts. I was much younger, but dont remember my arms ever being sore or getting tired from caring a shotgun that weighted one pounds more, but my shoulder knew we had hunted dove's all day (-;

Blueranger. As Brent mentioned find a local trap range and shoot a few. Great idea. Everybody has their preference, but all that is important is what works for her. Take your time and get one that fits her --not just fits her physically, but weight wise, even looks ( she is a girl after all ) gauge, etc etc etc ---this will be her shotgun and if you want her to continue going into the field with it, and you, she needs to like it and want to go.

Brent you are spot on with that advice, basically what I said earlier but you explained the rationale much better than I.

Cheers
Richard

I purchased a CZ O/U .12 gauge for myself a year ago and I sure like it. I think a 20 or 28 gauge CZ O/U would be a nice one for her. Light and simple plus they look really sharp.

Just for a point of reference, for the last two years, I shot and hunted with a mere slip of a lass that I seriously doubt weighed 100 lbs. She started as a complete neophyte nonshooter. Yet she shot my wife's 20 SKB 100 (25.5" barrels < 6#) every week at a trap range for most of the first summer and then bought her own Spanish O/U from one of the club membes for the hunting season and the following year of trap and hunting. It fit her well, and it was definitely under 7#. Probably right about 6.5# or a tad less. She shot it really well and without a problem. By the end of the summer, she became a pretty darn good trap shooter and waterfowler with it. BTW, it was a 12 gauge. But hand her even a cut down semiauto with a full mag and she would just about tip over.

Well done Brent, good job. Glad she was able to handle a 12 gauge so well. I prefer the 12 gauge as it gives me more range, literally and figuratively. As April mentioned, you worked with her and taught her the proper way to use a shotgun. She was a tiny lass, that is for sure but it just confirms what can be accomplished with proper training, nicely done Brent.

I am somewhat surprised at how weight sensitive many seem to be. Holy mackerel a shotgun weighing 7 lbs :oops:, I can't carry that. But it is the era of the man bun :)

david, those Cz.s are nice, good pick up. congrats again on your bear, that was so cool. I need to get you across the border for a visit, you could visit Mike, Gerry and Gil on your way up or back:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back