Shotgun break-in

Dougfirtree

I recently got a new semi-auto shotgun and the manufacturer recommends breaking in the action spring. Their suggestion is to run 200 rounds of heavy shotshells through it before counting on it cycling lighter loads. I've never heard of this before. Is this common?

I put a box of heavy duck loads through it and then a box of light loads and it cycled them all flawlessly. Given the state of ammo supplies and the state of my wallet/shoulder, I'm inclined to break this gun in by hunting with it for the next couple of years... Anyone else have experience with breaking in a semi-auto?

As long as your hunting loads powder charge is equal to or greater than that recommended by the manufacturer you should be fine. Beretta, for example, advises 1 1/8 oz for break-in of their A400 series shotguns. Seems to me you can probably break it in over the course of one or two upland seasons.

That seems odd. They could easily have compressed the springs 200 times in the factory before installing them rather than ask the customer to buy the gun and then spend another couple hundred bucks on ammo to "break it in".

I consider that to be a disclaimer.
Put some hunting loads in front of the bolt and some dirt and vegetation on the side of it. It will break in. You may have a few malfunctions but you may not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back