Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shot my blind!

WildWill

So went out and sat in my pop up blind over looking some winter rye this morning. A young 8 point fed out before 8am followed by a doe and fawn then a big lone doe. I let them feed closer till the big doe was 16 yards and broadside. I drew my bow got the pin sighted through the peep and made sure my arrow would clear the blind. In that time she had turned so that she was now quartering slightly toward me. I waited at full draw a few seconds as she fed moving forward a few steps to my right and turning back broadside. I settled my pin and touched off the release and instantly knew something was wrong. I was unable to track my arrow in flight which is odd for me there was no telling thwack sound and I watched her run out the field no blood on or arrow in her that I could see. Looking down I was able to quickly figure out what happened in the few steps she took waiting for her to turn was just enough to not obscure my sights but my arrow wasn't so lucky. Anyone else done this?20200114_151338.jpg

That sucks! Hasn't happened to me (knock on wood) but i certainly see how it could. What are you doing still hunting in daylight? Most of the guys still hunting around here are utilizing the mobile noctural method on some of our fine roadways.

Good luck on this last day or two of season.

I haven't hunted much from a blind in recent years. Thankfully it didn't hit the pole 2 inches away. That could've been really bad!

Yep!when I started turkey hunting two decades ago with a bow I did the same thing, but he was close and lower than my sight picture lol. Yep been there done that.

I did it turkey hunting with the bow 2 years ago. I was at the one spot in the blind that required a real weird angle to shoot the bird and not hit the bush. My elbow bumped the corner of the blind and somehow I hit my release. Put it right through the wall of the pop up blind. I hit the call real quick, he strutted one more time, and then I guillotined him. So a little duct tape and everything was good to go.

I've done it. Sad thing is it wasn't enough to stop a fairly lethal looking hit on a raghorn. The location on the elk was good but the penetration was not.

That sucks! Hasn't happened to me (knock on wood) but i certainly see how it could. What are you doing still hunting in daylight? Most of the guys still hunting around here are utilizing the mobile noctural method on some of our fine roadways.

Good luck on this last day or two of season.
I can see you're familiar with Eastern Oklahoma hunting tactics. I'm a bit of a oddball for the area as I do it by the book. I decided I could fit one more deer in the freezer and like to hunt the last couple days helps with the withdrawals later in the season.
I haven't hunted much from a blind in recent years. Thankfully it didn't hit the pole 2 inches away. That could've been really bad!
Yea best case scenario the pole breaks worst case my arrow slings back into my face. Besides missing the opportunity I got pretty lucky no injury to me and thankfully a clean miss instead of a wounding blow.

I have not put one directly through a blind but did manage to bounce one off of some camo netting I had in front of me. Turkey came in just as the sun started to shine right on my face so I shifted a little lower in my chair. The netting pulled the arrow down enough to hit the dirt right under the bird.

My buddy did it and was really mad when his arrow went sky high 😂
Then his wife had her limb hit the wood frame of another blind so hard the bow stuck to it. I was sitting with him a week later and he was going to shoot a buck and his limb was pushing against the same spot his wife smashed. I grabbed him and physically dragged him out of the way before he shot lol. He was arguing with me and thought I was intentionally trying to mess up his shot.

Did that this year too. I have a mirror blind I made. The arrow just tumbled half way to the buck with really nice recessive genes.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back