Shortest recovery distance EVER.

I've done a couple neck shots with guns at 5 yards or so. I was in tall grass and both deer walked right up to me.

I stalked a cow elk in her bed one and closed into inside 30 feet. She was on one side of a tree and I on the other. I shot her in the base of the ear with my 308 as she slept. She stood up but immediately sagged and collapsed.

I spined a doe a few years back (steep shot) and it fell over and died right there. The necropsy showed that I had clipped a lung too so it ended up dying shortly after it fell over.

I shot my first bear on a late season spot and stalk hunt in UT at 10 yards. The bear walked right to me.

Ok, Now my story. I was hunting from a climbing tree stand. A whitetail doe came out about 30-40 yds away, giving me a clean broadside shot. The 35 Rem hit dead center in the lungs and she instantly rocketed into a mad dash straight toward me...rammed head first into the tree I was sitting in and dropped ! When I came down I had to climb 1/2 way around the tree so I could get out the the stand without stepping on the deer.

Ok, Now my story. I was hunting from a climbing tree stand. A whitetail doe came out about 30-40 yds away, giving me a clean broadside shot. The 35 Rem hit dead center in the lungs and she instantly rocketed into a mad dash straight toward me...rammed head first into the tree I was sitting in and dropped ! When I came down I had to climb 1/2 way around the tree so I could get out the the stand without stepping on the deer.
Wow!:oops: I would say you win for the least amount of horizontal distance covered for recovery.:)

Was working my way through some scrub oak. Very windy into my face. Not much undergrowth so could croutch down and see for several feet ahead. I was about half way though the maze when spotted the lower 1/3 of a bedded mule deer buck. Was 15' ahead and could not see antlers at first. Could tell had headgear when the deer rotated his head while I took a few steps more. Buck stood up while I was slowly steeping sideways. One shot from my muzzleloader and deer fell forward. About 5 paces. The bullet performed terribly as I was shooting a lot of powder as expected would be shooting 100 yards or more, not a few feet. Bullet fragmented into mostly birdshot as impacted a rib. Did the job, though.

My first deer was about 12 years ago. It was a 7pt White Tail that was almost 20" between the main beams. When I shot him, he ran up to my stand and laid down. Seriously. He was maybe 15-20 feet from the bottom of my stand. Ran about 40 yards to get there.

Wow!:oops: I would say you win for the least amount of horizontal distance covered for recovery.:)
Yep, if I would have grabbed my doe instead of trying not to get kicked she would have been in my lap like a dog. Instead, I turned her away like a naughty child... Gunner for the win with climbing around the tree to get over the deer!

Well, that's a little better than my story. The buck didn't run into the tree.

Shortest trip for me was shooting a buck at around 5 yards, he jumped straight up in the air and did the classic mule kick but then just stood there so I ran another slug through him cause I’m a spaz and hate to see them suffer. After the second shot, he took off like a bat outta hell straight into a downed tree about 10 yards infront of him and got tangled up in the branches.

I was driving a two track to my hunt area, jumped a spike mule deer (my first mule deer), and shot him at about 20 yards as he sprinted across in front of me. He ran out of sight in the timber, circled around, and fell in the two track behind me.....about 10 yards! memtb

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back