Short to moderate range multi purpose cartridge for 7mmRM

I can’t imagine a 140 accubond at 3200ish FPS wouldn’t work well. We’ve taken several animals with 110 accubonds from the 257 weatherby at 3400+ and they either passed through or were against the hide on the other side from 100-300 yards. But there are a bunch of good 7mm choices for what you want.

I am not a fan of premium bullet's, I think they were designed to make money. I doubt they kill much better than any well chosen lead core bullet well placed. But the one premium I think might be a good one is the bonded core bullet. I say might as I've never used one. In my old 7nn Rem Mag years ago I shot a number of different bullet's and my thought is below 150gr the bullet's are to light and to fast and destroy lot's of things you might rather eat. The hands down best bullet I found was the 160gr Speer Hot Core. I shot them into newspaper at 100yds with the 7mm mag and every one mushroomed very nicely, they retained an average of 85% of their orginal weight and the core never, not one time, came loose in the jacket. Kind of hard for me to over look that. But I still used Hornady's as they were more accurate. Not by enough to make a difference but just a bit more.

Bullet's like the Barnes have super claims made about them. Orginally I believe they were promoted to hunt at extreme range. Then Barnes claim's to have redesigned it from a match bullet to a hunting bullet. Their claim is it penetrates three of four inch's before starting to mushroom. I can't see how they figured that out. And after doing that first three or four inches the bullet completely unloads and most of what I read, never exits. Bottom line though is if you properly place the bullet it will kill quickly, any bullet will! But being as fragile as it sounds I think a lot of thought needs to go into bullet placement to avoid ruining a lot of meat.

I have tried the Nosler years ago in that old 7mm mag. But have never shot one at game. My problem was they were no where near as accurate as other cup and core bullet's and bullet's I dug out of back stop, every one sheared the jacket at the core, Just turned me off but again, there's no doubt one placed well will kill as good as anything.

If I were to spend the money on premium bullet's it would be bonded bullet's. And I come to that for no other reason than I've used the Speer hot core and have seen what happens when the core is secure to the jacket. Have even today gone back to shooting Hot Core's in my 6.5x06. Used Hornady 140s for a long time but as I found out years ago, Hornady's were more accurate than the Speer and they retained the same ave weight but the core always came loose in the jacket. Over the years Hornady cup and core bullet's have never failed me.

Bottom line is for me that any bullet you use that is designed for hunting the game your after is in all likely hood going to work very well if you do your part! The down side of cup and core bullet's is the lighter one's while certainly capable will change the shot you might want to take. They must be chosen carefully for the game your after.

I am not a fan of premium bullet's, I think they were designed to make money. I doubt they kill much better than any well chosen lead core bullet well placed. But the one premium I think might be a good one is the bonded core bullet. I say might as I've never used one. In my old 7nn Rem Mag years ago I shot a number of different bullet's and my thought is below 150gr the bullet's are to light and to fast and destroy lot's of things you might rather eat. The hands down best bullet I found was the 160gr Speer Hot Core. I shot them into newspaper at 100yds with the 7mm mag and every one mushroomed very nicely, they retained an average of 85% of their orginal weight and the core never, not one time, came loose in the jacket. Kind of hard for me to over look that. But I still used Hornady's as they were more accurate. Not by enough to make a difference but just a bit more.

Bullet's like the Barnes have super claims made about them. Orginally I believe they were promoted to hunt at extreme range. Then Barnes claim's to have redesigned it from a match bullet to a hunting bullet. Their claim is it penetrates three of four inch's before starting to mushroom. I can't see how they figured that out. And after doing that first three or four inches the bullet completely unloads and most of what I read, never exits. Bottom line though is if you properly place the bullet it will kill quickly, any bullet will! But being as fragile as it sounds I think a lot of thought needs to go into bullet placement to avoid ruining a lot of meat.

I have tried the Nosler years ago in that old 7mm mag. But have never shot one at game. My problem was they were no where near as accurate as other cup and core bullet's and bullet's I dug out of back stop, every one sheared the jacket at the core, Just turned me off but again, there's no doubt one placed well will kill as good as anything.

If I were to spend the money on premium bullet's it would be bonded bullet's. And I come to that for no other reason than I've used the Speer hot core and have seen what happens when the core is secure to the jacket. Have even today gone back to shooting Hot Core's in my 6.5x06. Used Hornady 140s for a long time but as I found out years ago, Hornady's were more accurate than the Speer and they retained the same ave weight but the core always came loose in the jacket. Over the years Hornady cup and core bullet's have never failed me.

Bottom line is for me that any bullet you use that is designed for hunting the game your after is in all likely hood going to work very well if you do your part! The down side of cup and core bullet's is the lighter one's while certainly capable will change the shot you might want to take. They must be chosen carefully for the game your after.

You have Barnes confused with Berger.

Barnes hunting bullets are mono copper that expand fairly quickly, but retain nearly 100% of their weight. They penetrate very deeply, and usually exit.

I've had multiple failures with rapid expanders and standard c&c bullets. All I shoot is Barnes in my hunting rifles now. You can use lighter faster bullets and still not worry about hitting heavy bone or having a perfect shot angle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back