Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Short action vs. long action

There are many reasons for a preference of action length. Some mechanical, some aesthetics. I have dozens of different rifles for different uses. I have gotten to prefer one size over another more for aesthetics than function, although function of a fitted action does add to the usefulness of the rifle.

I have never been a fan of Mauser actions as they seem bulky and cluttered on the rear of the bolt. I do have a Mauser in 257 Roberts and I got it due to the craftsmanship of the overall rifle, which is superb and the safety was put on the side of the action instead of the rear of the bolt. It is too much action for the 257 Roberts, but the rifle is a beauty and with a little help from color/case on the shroud, the rifle does look nice...

View attachment 189796

View attachment 189788

I also have dozens of Sakos and Sako is more innovative with their action dimensions, as they have made 3 lengths and tailored the bolt size to fit the cartridge and not have a one-size-fits-all action that they use blocks and gadgetry to make different cartridges fit. The reason I like the Sakos is they are extremely well made and no magazine from any manufacturer will feed cartridges more reliably than the Sako...

View attachment 189790

View attachment 189798

View attachment 189799View attachment 189800View attachment 189801

Then there is Cooper. It is impossible to show all the various actions and lengths they have. There are so many and some are discontinued, but Cooper really made the action around the cartridge being fired in that gun. The workmanship is exceptional and the rifles shoot like no other production rifle...

View attachment 189802View attachment 189803View attachment 189804View attachment 189805

If you haven't heard or seen Sako or Cooper rifles, you probably don't worry too much about the action, it's length and the size of the bolt face. But if all that stuff matters, there is a good selection of actions, lengths and sizes for any cartridge.
Looks like you need a decluttering. I can provide outsourcing for a per unit ammo surcharge.

There are many reasons for a preference of action length. Some mechanical, some aesthetics. I have dozens of different rifles for different uses. I have gotten to prefer one size over another more for aesthetics than function, although function of a fitted action does add to the usefulness of the rifle.

I have never been a fan of Mauser actions as they seem bulky and cluttered on the rear of the bolt. I do have a Mauser in 257 Roberts and I got it due to the craftsmanship of the overall rifle, which is superb and the safety was put on the side of the action instead of the rear of the bolt. It is too much action for the 257 Roberts, but the rifle is a beauty and with a little help from color/case on the shroud, the rifle does look nice...

View attachment 189796

View attachment 189788

I also have dozens of Sakos and Sako is more innovative with their action dimensions, as they have made 3 lengths and tailored the bolt size to fit the cartridge and not have a one-size-fits-all action that they use blocks and gadgetry to make different cartridges fit. The reason I like the Sakos is they are extremely well made and no magazine from any manufacturer will feed cartridges more reliably than the Sako...

View attachment 189790

View attachment 189798

View attachment 189799View attachment 189800View attachment 189801

Then there is Cooper. It is impossible to show all the various actions and lengths they have. There are so many and some are discontinued, but Cooper really made the action around the cartridge being fired in that gun. The workmanship is exceptional and the rifles shoot like no other production rifle...

View attachment 189802View attachment 189803View attachment 189804View attachment 189805

If you haven't heard or seen Sako or Cooper rifles, you probably don't worry too much about the action, it's length and the size of the bolt face. But if all that stuff matters, there is a good selection of actions, lengths and sizes for any cartridge.
Wow, just wow!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back