Shooting Coppers: Cleaning Regime

Jmnhunter

after reading "To clean or not to clean" it has me thinking of cleaning my rifles after switching to coppers a few years ago. I've read you're supposed to clean your barrels with a nylon brush vs the bronze brushes. I've only used bronze brushes since none of the stores here carry nylon. I've only had maybe 3 boxes of copper through my rifle.

What copper solvents/brushes do you use?

I use Wipe Out. Spray it in, go drink a beer and do something else for an hour, come back and run patches through. It's a pretty tough regimen but I survive.
How often do you do this? (Not the beer drinking. The cleaning). I'm in the "not to clean" camp, but have been confused when it comes to copper.

How often do you do this? (Not the beer drinking. The cleaning). I'm in the "not to clean" camp, but have been confused when it comes to copper.
I only do it when I have a rifle that got wet (I tape my muzzle) but I run a lubed patch if hunting and do complete clean after hunt...or when accuracy falls off. So far I'm about 150 rounds of Hammers in my 280 with no sign of accuracy change

I only do it when I have a rifle that got wet (I tape my muzzle) but I run a lubed patch if hunting and do complete clean after hunt...or when accuracy falls off. So far I'm about 150 rounds of Hammers in my 280 with no sign of accuracy change
This. The beer drinking is much more frequent.

I’m a huge fan of M-pro 7 products, including their copper remover. It works great and is non-toxic, so you can use it with bare hands. It’s also ammonia free, so it won’t ruin your barrel if you get distracted and forget to clean it out of your bore.

As for the how often to clean out the copper, I’d say it depends. Some rifles have excellent cold bore accuracy with a spotless barrel. If that’s the case with your rifle, I’d clean out the copper after every range or hunting trip. Some rifles have not so great cold bore accuracy out of a clean barrel, but their groups tighten up after 3-5 “conditioning” rounds are sent down range. If that’s the case, I’d clean out the copper once my groups started opening up again due to excessive copper fouling.

Since your rifle isn't unfired, the bore should be somewhat smooth. That means less buildup in your barrel with any jacketed or copper bullets. I use two different brand cleaners that are environmentally safe. I can't remember their names at the moment. I start with the carbon cleaner first and than the copper cleaner. You will be surprised how dirty your rifle really is. They recommend nylon brushes because copper or bronze ones are effected by the copper cleaner and will eventually get smaller in diameter and not be nearly as effective as a new one. You can order nylon brushes online if none are available in your area. You will know that the copper fouling is gone when the copper wash on the rifling at the muzzle is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back