Shooting Chrony Chronographs

BRNG 525

I have a shooting Chrony chronograph, I believe it is a Gamma model. I am just wondering how many of you out there have used one of these chronographs and what you honestly think of them. The data I get is consistent from load to load but the velocities seem considerably higher than what is published in the reloading manuals. Since I am the only one I know that has a chronograph I don't have anything to compare it too. Any feedback information would be greatly appreciated.

My old man has one, and last week we tested some shotgun field loads that he had reloaded. There was only a variance of about 50fps, which seemed pretty good to me. I know he uses it for rifle reloads too and they are even more accurate on those.

When I got mine, I shot it with another chrony, and compared data with 22 lr standard velocity ammo. I recorded the velocity, and kept 3 boxes of this ammo with the chrony. Now if things are funky, I can re-check to see if those loads are shooting near the recorded velocity (same gun, obviously) to check it. My handloads are all a bit on the slow side, even the warmer ones, according to the chrony, so I al ways take it with a grain of salt. Checking long-range ballistics will verify your velocity and other variables better than the chrony will. I use my Chrony for tunign the loads, then shoot paper to tune my ballistics charts.

Sunlight/overcast/etc all make a difference in how well my machine sees the bullet, and therefor the velocity.

Good luck!

I have the Beta. My velocity reading were too high as well. I called them and they said to be at minimum 18 ft out in front of the rifle barrel. I go 20ft out now and have gotten better readings.

I borrowed and used a master F1 chrony the other day at the range and had some very puzzling results. I had a few rounds that measured out well under what the others were at, some under 900 fps. Most of my loads were around 2800fps and then all of a sudden dropped to 900. I also had 4 go the other way, well over 4100 fps. How does that happen? There is no way I could ever get 4000 out of a 7mm rem mag.
I think they give a ball park, general idea of speed but as for 100% accurate, I dont think so.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back