MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Shooting brace

This week has signified some major improvement.

I have had the new Bowtech Destroyer 350 since last Saturday. Been shooting the hell out of it, trying to get the cables and string stretch behind me. After 300 arrows, I took it back to the bow shop to get the cam timing back in order. Had no idea it could move that much over the course of 300 arrows.

The guys at Big Sky Archery are some great folks. They are super busy, as are all pro shops this time of year. Gabe, one of the owners, took a ton of time to work with me on the new set up. Changed my release, as it was so long that the angle on this brace height made it hard for me to get my nose on the string as my third point of contact.

He tweaked and adjusted for the better part of three hours. From it all, this set up shoots more comfortable than any set up I have ever had.

Came home last night and shot some groups. Then shot some more this morning. Using both field points and broad heads and they are tracking together.

Have dropped my draw weight by 5 pounds and now at 60 pounds. The let off of 80% helps a lot with the tremor, along with the wrist position and bow strap.

Actually thinking I could kill something if they got close enough.

These are the two 40 yards groups from last night. Not bad. Each has one or two broad heads and two field points.

IMG_5258.JPG
IMG_5259.JPG

This morning I shot some other groups from 40, 50, and 60 yards. This is getting better, but I am still not one of those long range bombers.

60 yards - Not shooting anything from that distance. I will leave that to Bugler.
IMG_5264.JPG

50 yards - This is tolerable. Give me a complete broadside shot with no wind, and I think I would take it.
IMG_5260.JPG
IMG_5261.JPG

40 yards - This seems like a distance I should be able to make.
IMG_5262.JPG
IMG_5263.JPG

Will go and shoot more groups this afternoon and evening. Plan to work on shooting groups of three at many different times during the day and hope that I can continue with improvement.

Only a week until New Mexico archery antelope opens, so I have to get and stayed dialed in.

If I do actually kill something, I will have to give a lot of credit to Gabe and the guys at Big Sky Archery. They have a web site and ship a lot of phone and web orders. They know their stuff. If you are in Montana hunting and you have any need for bow work or hunting advice, they would be the guys to talk to. Thanks Gabe, I am feeling much better now.

Have you switched over to broadheads yet while practicing?
I shoot year round with them. I put three 1 1/2" stickers on my target and shoot three arrow groups, one at each sticker and usually a min. apart. I also have a right shoulder problem and will get it repaired in Dec. If you feel confident, then it will all work out. I hope you do this hunt next week with live posts.
Take care,
hoggetter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back