Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Shooting at Reelfoot

Probably a CA transplant...
Some dudes in their 20s... essentially we put on the river in a canoe to jump shoot ducks, these dudes dropped off a drift boat the next access down and then went to make a shuttle run with their trucks, we floated past their boat (during shooting light).

Happened to be a bad day for birds and we didn't shoot any and only spooked a few. We stopped on and were having lunch around noon about 30 min from they take out and they passed us.

Buddy had to get to work in the afternoon, so after finishing our food we paddled for the take out... when we came up on them about 500 yards from the take out... they got pissed pointed there guns at us screamed all these threats, said next time they were gonna shoot us... it was bizarre.

Essentially they told us we should have stopped floating when we saw their drift boat and waited for them to return to their boat and start down the river, cause you know the river is a queue and tying your boat to the bank holds your place in line...

So yeah around 1pm, near the Nixon bridge I got a gun pointed at me for essentially also floating the river 🤷‍♂️.

What the f- is wrong with duck hunters.

In general duck hunters are the biggest pricks but I've had plenty of sketchy encounters over deer and elk. I've been shot at over both, for elk it lead me to abandon rifle season. But the only time I've actually been shot was western Washington pheasant and it wasn't on purpose, just a melee of shooting and I took some pellets to the back of the leg.

I hope the guy isn't dead, I feel like that would be a cop out

First rifle Elk otc public land CO two decades ago...two way radio traffic was the screenplay for the Deliverance Eeee ticket ride dialogue.

Be interesting to see what the autopsy reveals. I have a feeling his death was also violent. Something fishy with that story.
Glad I’m not the only one thinking somethings a little off. Reports of the old man being disarmed, being seen walking out of the water, etc., just bizarre to find him dead so close to the conflict.

I haven’t looked much into it, but it sounds like the surviving guy doesn’t quite fit in with those two that got killed so that’d be my starting point. IF they find something fishy with it all, what a shame they’ve put this old mans family through. Just thinking of those “silver alerts” they issue...how many end up with homicides or other violent crimes? When they fear their loved one might be having a mental health episode because of dementia/Alzheimer’s.

Still a pile of dead people at the end of the day...I’ll keep following this story.

Glad I’m not the only one thinking somethings a little off. Reports of the old man being disarmed, being seen walking out of the water, etc., just bizarre to find him dead so close to the conflict.

I haven’t looked much into it, but it sounds like the surviving guy doesn’t quite fit in with those two that got killed so that’d be my starting point. IF they find something fishy with it all, what a shame they’ve put this old mans family through. Just thinking of those “silver alerts” they issue...how many end up with homicides or other violent crimes? When they fear their loved one might be having a mental health episode because of dementia/Alzheimer’s.

Still a pile of dead people at the end of the day...I’ll keep following this story.
Be careful there! I'm 68 and don't think of myself as elderly and feeble ... yet ... even though the govt may feel I am.

The water temp was probably between 35-40 degrees. He may not have made it very far due to that.

I’m very local and had mutual friends with the deceased young hunters. The District Attorney stated there was no clear motive. I’ve had a conversation with one of the investigators from the county that I’m personal friends with and the whole “shooter was angry about them shooting his ducks” is just speculation from the public and not a working theory for law enforcement. This article is from prior to them finding the body of the shooter but has some statements from the DA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back