Shooting a flying turkey

The only one I've ever shot at on the wing I wounded. It went down and got back up and took off in some thick underbrush and I never found it. Probably won't do it again unless its in an open field.

Just for clarity.
If a guy cant eventually out smart a bird with a brain the size of pea by calling him in to gun range and has to resort to shooting birds out of the roost or flying away....well...not much of a turkey hunter.
But people like to make their own rules to make up for inadequacies....so much for tradition and " in the spirit" of things.
No need to defend...just a difference in opinion.

Now I know why I was never invited on those turkey hunts with you and SDG.

Reactions: Hem
I have only killed one double bearded turkey, and he was taken just as he had taken off in a "anywhere but here" panic escape attempt. I missed with my first shot (about 12 yards away and a pattern of scant inches wide) and then a clean head shot for a follow up shot at 25 yards and 20 feet up already. If the shot didn't kill him, the contact with the ground would have. I swear I felt the earth shudder as his 24 pounds hit the earth with a mortar like thud and splash of cornfield dirt.

Reactions: Hem
Not that it matters but I guess I should have said that I have never shot a bird off a limb. All of the birds I shot flying were either follow up shots on birds that took to the air after a first shot and a miss or while hunting turkeys during the fall season.

Having said all that If it was during legal shooting hours in the fall season I would shoot a bird right off a limb......so there ya go. Haters go ahead and hate. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back