Shipping dogs via airlines?

Mule man

I bought a one year old German wirehair in Indiana and need it shipped out to southern Oregon. Can anyone tell me what airlines are the best and how to go about it?

Unless you are flying with it the pup will have to go air freight. I suggest you start calling them. Usually no one will take dogs once weather drops to freezing. Also long layovers aren't acceptable. I'm sure your breeder will be able to help or know someone who can. Good luck.

I used to work for Frontier Airlines and the dogs that came through were not treated well at all. I would exhaust all other options before I would ship a dog. Good choice on the Wirehair, they are great.
+1 on this. My dad purchased a wirehair years ago from a breeder and they shipped it via airline. That dog was traumatized for two weeks after it arrived.

Check around and see if someone can shuttle if for you. A good friend of mine got a drahthaar puppy from Tennessee and he didn't fly it for the reasons listed above.

Last I checked (I just got a pup back in September), the airlines were not shipping live animals AT ALL, dogs included, due to Covid.

I had to book a 1-way flight and 1-way car rental to pick up the pup I wanted form the breeder I wanted.

Good luck.

I had my lab shuttled from Wisconsin with a carrier that drives. They took really good care of him. I have heard too many horror stories of shipping a dog via airplane.

If your schedule allows for it, I would at least try to work some sort of deal out with the breeder by meeting someone somewhere midway. I'm sure they have had these type of situations before and have ways to make life easy for everyone involved. Personally, I would hate to have short and/or long term issues with the dog knowing that it was something I could have prevented.

All i can add is I will NEVER ship a dog unattended on ANY airline. I shipped a Brittany pup (against my desire as a breeder) to a guy in NC in the spring, it was a non stop from Hartford to Raleigh and temperature was in the 70’s. The flight was held for thunderstorms and diverted, the dog arrived after 12 hours, dehydrated and in poor shape, he held on with IV fluids for a week and died. If someone was not willing to pick up the dog in person I refused to sell. Fares are cheap, fly down and bring the pup back in the cabin if they are small enough, I have arranged car travel, and just went to Kaycee WY to pick up an Aussie for my foreman on the ranch, 5 hours side trip but the dog arrived healthy and untraumatized (as if you could phase a good cow dog)

I had my lab pup shipped from Minnesota to Montana on Delta 5 years ago. It went off without a hitch. I have heard things have changed a lot since then. I have heard good things about Kati Becker and move your dog transporting. Might give her a call. Good luck.

I've heard nothing but bad things about airlines and dogs. No personal experience with it, but I've heard enough to go another route.

I had my lab pup shipped from Minnesota to Montana on Delta 5 years ago. It went off without a hitch. I have heard things have changed a lot since then. I have heard good things about Kati Becker and move your dog transporting. Might give her a call. Good luck.
Thank you, does Kati have a web site ? Would you no how to get it touch with her

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back