Caribou Gear

shington Merriams Gobbler

Kraven

Well we got to camp after we made a stop in Chewelah to meet and visit with a friend Ed Blankinship,Call Maker.We got camp set up really fast and then headed in the hills to roost some birds.We got to a good area and roosted a few birds for morning.Opening morning didnt have a lot of gobbling but some and thus no Gobblers came in.We did work a bird and make a stalk on him which killed about 4 hours which was quite fun and got to see SOME of his hens Friday morning was pretty much the same as Thursday.
On Saturday morning we decided to sleep in WOOPS So I got into the woods around 7:15 and everyone else was still sleeping.I headed into the area we were in on the opener and got 2 gobbles right away.After 30 mins or so no one was coming to my calling.I decided to head up the draw the gobbling was coming from.After sneaking thru all the brush I get up to the hogs back and immediately bust some hens in all total I busted about 7 hens on the way up.I slowly worked my way up and I hear a GOBBLE then again and hes getting closer.So I sat down at the bottom of a rock ledge and hoped he would come to the rock ledge on the otherside and in about 3 minutes he was there still GOBBLING his head off.I took careful aim at his head area and squeezed the trigger and he dropped in his tracks.The Gobbler weighed 23 lbs had 1 inch spurs and a 9 3/4 inch beard.After I got to the bird I used my rangefinder to see how far the shot was and was amazed,it was 48 yards.I really do like the Remington 4X6 shells alot now.Anyways heres a pic and hope you enjoyed the story and like the pic.
DSC00297.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back