Sheep Rifle

freu1chr

I am currently planning a sheep hunt along with other hunts but i am trying to decide what rifle would be best suited for sheep hunting. I have a tikka 300 win mag with a leupold 4.5-14x50 cds, I also am building a howa 7mm-08 with a leupold 4.5-14x50cds. i am trying to decide what rifle and bullet would be best suited for sheep. I plan on hunting the Montana unlimited unit if that is any help. I know i could use both rifles but you that have sheep hunted would have a better idea with what would work.

I would say the lightest of the 2. Didn't Jack O'Connor say the perfect mountain rifle should weight no more than 7 pounds or something like that.

The only way I wouldn't take the lighter of the two is if I thought I was going to be shooting a long ways across the wind. If you watch Randy's dall sheep hunt you can seem him drift a bullet or two in some heavy wind. A heavier bullet like the 300 might be worth it then.

Caveat. I'm not a sheep hunter.

If that tikka is a t3lite, its a great gun and gunna be hard to beat. Its not a power thing but its a placement thing. Take the rifle that is the lightest and shoots the best at the farthest range you can hit a paper plate every shot.

The 7-08 will kill a sheep no problem, but I’d take the Tikka.
The BC of a 300 win mag is higher and the unlimiteds are a windy place. Really windy some days. The bullet has a flatter trajectory. In worse case scenario it is better for shooting a charging grizzly with too.

Back