sheep rifle input

Or buy one of the Kimbers that are soon to come up for sale.

Or buy one of the Kimbers that are soon to come up for sale.

I would advise against😉

If you feel equally confident in a 300 yard shot being in the kill zone with either rifle you now own, I would take the lighter rifle. Otherwise, take the one that shoots best. Hardest part of filling a draw sheep tag is drawing the sheep tag. Take lots of pictures and hope you stick the ram with an arrow. An archery harvest is a much smaller fraternity of sheep hunters. Congrats and best of luck.

I killed a desert bighorn with a 7mm Mag and a rocky mountain bighorn with my .270 Win. Either of your rifles will do fine. Like everyone else is saying, I'd take the one you feel most comfortable with. If you decide to get a new one for the hunt, just make sure you have the time to get it dialed in and you comfortable with it before your hunt. Second guessing your equipment is the last thing you want to be doing when you find that ram!

6mm*** you mean...
Yes if it were me that is what I would use! You are correct sir my Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington would take the call to action. I love that rifle and have real confidence in it and the cartridge. Quite a few folks teased me about not taking my 6mm Remington on my Alaska Grizzly Bear hunt last fall. Of course they were just teasing!

Pffft, he clearly needs some sort of Weatherby mag for this job. A .257 ought to do the trick, or a 6.5-300...
I just recently acquired a Weatherby Vanguard .257 Wby Mag. ( about a 2008 year model ) for $250 from a friend that wanted to get rid of. When I burn my few desert sheep points in Nevada on a ewe tag its gonna be my sheep gun. Gotta get out before the whole system implodes right? @Zim

It would make me buy a gun, of course not because I need it. I would use my 270WSM but I would go buy a Whetherby 6.5-300 or a 27 Nosler anyways.

It would make me buy a gun, of course not because I need it. I would use my 270WSM but I would go buy a Whetherby 6.5-300 or a 27 Nosler anyways.

I've had hunters use calibers I wouldn't but the sheep always died. One guy showed up with a 300 savage M99 lever gun. I got him close and the ram fell over more dead than a rock. Only advice I can give is don't over estimate your ability to take a long shot out of fear the sheep will disappear over the hill. Given time the sheep will move and you will have an easier shot. Get as close as you can.
Banks may be too big to fail but I believe while hunting I want to be "too close to miss".
Great Tag "use it wisely grasshopper"
Good Hunting
Lj

I've had hunters use calibers I wouldn't but the sheep always died. One guy showed up with a 300 savage M99 lever gun. I got him close and the ram fell over more dead than a rock. Only advice I can give is don't over estimate your ability to take a long shot out of fear the sheep will disappear over the hill. Given time the sheep will move and you will have an easier shot. Get as close as you can.
Banks may be too big to fail but I believe while hunting I want to be "too close to miss".
Great Tag "use it wisely grasshopper"
Good Hunting
Lj

That would be great picture; M99 and a ram.

I‘m not buying a new rifle for a sheep hunt, I want my sheep rifle to be one I am 100% comfortable and confident with.

I killed mine with my 7mm Dakota. Congrats on a great tag. Gotta love the 7's for sheep and bergers

Like others have posted, accuracy is more important than bullet diameter.

I shot my 3 Montana Unlimited Bighorns and my Northwest Territories Dall ram with my .257 Ackley under a 6x Leupold scope and Sierra 117 grain GameKing bullets. All were one shot kills and the longest shot was 206 yards on the Dall.

Have a great hunt and take A LOT of pictures.

If you shoot the 7mm well, use that. If you want to another rifle well, go for it! You have our full support!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back