Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Sheep Hunting Optics

If you’re sheep hunting I’d say go 85. You can find yourself in a situation where you might spot sheep 5 miles out and you need to verify if there is a shooter or not so you don’t burn out your legs on non legal sheep. I also prefer to glass everything with binos and then verify what I see or don’t see with a spotter and then go over everything with the spotter afterwards. I prefer 10x42’s.

Lastly, unless you plan to sheep hunt often or have a good budget I would borrow nice glass from a good friend or rent.

Has anyone on here tried the Leupold BX5 15x56 binos? I really want the Swaros but I’m just shopping my options before I drop that much coin.

I spent some time looking at spotting scope and binoculars a while back. I currently have a pair of Leopold Cascade 10x42. I use them on a tripod frequently and it makes a big difference.

I am wanting something to reach out more, but not be a single purpose unit.

I looked at the various spotting scopes. I helped a guy on a mountain goat hunt a while back, and he had a Swarovski spotter, straight. I could not get comfortable with a spotter for some reason, where I can put my binoculars on a tripod and glass for quite a while.

Which led me to looking at the binoculars they had at the store. Vortex 15x56 ($500 range, cant remember the model) and the Leopold VX5 Santiam. I could tell immediately the difference. The L was much better than the V at th as t point. I did not compare those to the Swarovski, binoculars and I done know how they compare to the upper end vortex.

I am just a guy that likes to hunt. I hunt for deer and antelope a lot and do not consider myself to be a trophy hunter at all. I dont need to tell the difference between 190 and 200 on a mule deer at 2 miles. Same with sheep. The units that I apply for desert and California sheep dont require glassing beyond about two miles anyway.

I think I am going towards the VX5's at this point.

Anybody know how the 15 or 18x Mavens compare to Vortex?

Josh Boyd did a review on Maven B2's on Rokslide -

I know the B2's aren't the 15x models, but the review could give some insight on their quality. The demo program seems it would be worth a shot.

Interesting conversation.

My glass is older, but quality.

Binos are Swaro 10x50 SLC.

Spotter is Leica 20-60x77.

Triipod is a carbon Promaster.

The system works well for me!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member