Shed trip with daughter to Keystone in March

fishorhunt

Hey gang. I'm going to be in Keystone March 18-20 for a quick ski weekend (coming from Iowa). Wife and son will ski all day. Daughter and I will fall down all day. Rather than suffer through that we want to see about doing some hiking, shed hunting and fishing. I'm curious about a couple things.

Are there public hunting/access locations near Keystone (or within an hour) that we could hike and find elk sheds this time of year?

I know there is public fishing in this area and will do some research. I could fish for days non stop but any advice on good places to go so my daughter might be able to land something. Strictly catch, pic and release for us.

Just looking to spend some quality time outside so any advice/input would be appreciated.

Take care.

Delusional is the first word came to mind, but I'm sure you meant well...
In that part of the world the snow is 7-10 ft deep and the elk don't drop for 2 more months...

Now as to fishing??? The ice is 3' thick so I'm assuming you want to fish rivers within 1 hour, that leaves you 3 options... the upper Blue, the middle Blue, and the Lower Blue I would go with the Blue???

Special restrictions apply read the regs carefully.

If you stretch that 1 hour to 1.5 you could add some CO river points of access for fishing. Very early for even these places though. I would think your best bet would be right downtown Silverthorne, hardly a mountain wilderness setting, but there are some good fish there. but none of this stuff is 'kid fishing".

You may have to resort to ski-bunny hunting/watching or heaven forbid shopping at the factory outlets. I would recommend suicide myself over any of those options but in certain circles they are popular.

Thanks guys. I'm from central Iowa right outside Des Moines. Our whitetail sheds are dropping now so that's what got me thinking. Guess my timing (and expectations) are going to be way off. We'll try fishing, snowshoeing and maybe a snowmobile ride through the mountains. Appreciate the info. Take care.

Now you are getting somewhere. Don't forget dog sledding . Try the upper swann river you'll like it. You said elk btw deer will be on the ground for your dates. The high country is a strange place I just left to visit normal world conditions... Instead of 10' of snow I'm mowing grass picking rocks launching boats and listening to gobblers... And picking ticks.

Took the family to Keystone for a week long ski trip 2 years ago. ( from NJ )
Spent a side day skiing Vail ( prefer to stay / ski at Keystone).
This was our best ski / family vacation ever, so I would enjoy that time together (we are not great skiers by any means).
Was a little surprised at all the reefer smoking going on everywhere we went.
Peyton was in the Super bowl that weekend so maybe that was just a party all over.
Excellent ....Mexican restaurant across street from the base area and a beautiful outdoor ice skating area in the village.

10Dogs

Hey ]fishorhunt
I live 5 min from keystone
Send me a pm I can point you in the right direction for some deer sheds
Elksheds won't be on the ground yet

A coworker of mine found a nice deer shed outside of Nederland, CO the other day. At the moment in the Keystone area there is very little snow on the south facing slopes. The last few weeks have been very warm and sunny. It is about 50 degrees in that area right now. I've never shed hunted up there before and it may be a bit early for elk but there is definitely a possibility.

Made it to Keystone. There is a lot more snow than I expected. Heard they got 30" this past week. LOL. Planning to drive and sightsee our way to Kremmling area tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Ended up hunting north of Kremmling. Found two old ones. My daughter found a spike about 10 inches. I found a 3 pt about 16". Saw lots of mules and pronghorn. Even just saw 3 moose in Keystone near the landfill! Thanks for the help. Great trip!

Back