Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Shaw Rifle

Redmt

Does anyone have experience with having a custom built by Shaw Rifles? Their communication skills are on par with mine. I wanted to check on the status of my build as it's due in the next month or so.

I've not had a gun built but have had a couple rifles rebarreled and they have been great to work with. I had no issues with communication, if I had a question I got a response within a day or too.

Does anyone have experience with having a custom built by Shaw Rifles? Their communication skills are on par with mine. I wanted to check on the status of my build as it's due in the next month or so.

Never had them build one, have thought about it using their custom action, what are you having built?

I've bought 4 of their barrels.
Give them a call.
They answer their phone & are pleasant to deal with.
While you may not like an answer they give (as far as time), they will give you a straight answer.

I'm not in a big rush. They originally said 3-4 months before I ordered it. By the time I made up my mind it was 4-5 months and that's ok! I just want to make sure they're still somewhere close to that April delivery.

I really love their bluing!

I hate to say, i wasn't that pleased with Shilen's bluing.

Friend just got a barrel from Douglas.
His only complaint is that you pay Douglas for the barrel, then have to pay the guy that the bluing separately.

It's been over a week with no response to email. 2 days with no response from phone call. They keep sending advertising to order new guns and barrels. My "due date" is still a month or so out but a little communication would help.

It's been over a week with no response to email. 2 days with no response from phone call. They keep sending advertising to order new guns and barrels. My "due date" is still a month or so out but a little communication would help.
While I understand the frustration with their communication skills I wouldn’t worry about the build yet. They might not have even started it yet being as it’s still a month or so out.

Here's the final update. According to their website they will not give any updates on promised delivery until after it is already late. They come right out and say that they will ignore any requests before that. It was promised between 3/26 and 4/26. At the end of March they still ignored any request for timeline. I waited until the 26th of April and got a reply of "soon". I asked what "soon" meant and finally got a reply today of maybe sometime in June. I have lost faith in Shaw to actually carry through on a rifle that I had paid for in full to make it by then either. Order cancelled.

Too bad.
Think you were a touch impatient.
Barrels are 6 month wait right now.
When i ordered my Shilen they were advertizing 12 weeks. Took almost 20 weeks.
A lot of rifle actions are on backorder too.

Steel has gone up almost 30% and shipments are behind.

If they already did start on the build, then someone is going to get a deal on either a rifle that was canceled, or a nice barrel.

Steel has gone up almost 30% and shipments are behind.

Not firearm related, but we’ve been seeing 26 week lead times on domestic-produced stainless hardware items and up to 52 week lead times on other domestic steel and aluminum products. Often times with pricing set on day of shipment, not of order. It’s bonkers out there.

Has a quality rifle EVER been made on time?
If you like custom guns, you have to know that gunmaker time is at least three times slower than regular time. That's just the way it is. Always has been. Always will be. And that's back in the good ol' Normal Days. It's easy to be waiting up to 5 yrs for a good Sharps, for instance. And that's only semicustom.

Here's the final update. According to their website they will not give any updates on promised delivery until after it is already late. They come right out and say that they will ignore any requests before that. It was promised between 3/26 and 4/26. At the end of March they still ignored any request for timeline. I waited until the 26th of April and got a reply of "soon". I asked what "soon" meant and finally got a reply today of maybe sometime in June. I have lost faith in Shaw to actually carry through on a rifle that I had paid for in full to make it by then either. Order cancelled.
Call Pierce Engineering in Lansing MI. Great guys, outstanding quality, and Jim and his crew are great on communication.

Things are slow right now, but I see your point. Soon as an answer. Then get a tomorrow on by end of June. They knew it was not the next day, just being a smart ass. When people spend money with you at least try and get a little better answer or say we are backed up and just don't know.

Say what you will. They are piss poor on communication. Rude and smart ass when you do by chance get them on the phone. The are deceptive in their advertising. They could have made a simple "it's going to be late " statement but chose not to. I had to call them when it was late and even then they were evasive with an answer until I pressed them for an approximate date. NEVER did I try and hurry them. NEVER did I show any displeasure. My take is that they are a company that couldn't care less about customer service or their image. BTW, I'm still waiting for the refund or even notice of a refund for a rifle that I paid in full over 5 months ago.
EDIT
I got notification from my CC company that I received a full refund from a parent company of Shaw.

Last edited:
Back