Caribou Gear

Sharing Hunting data in Colorado

If you’re wise, you’d befriend that person. He has hunted more units in CO than anyone on this forum. He could write up some unit profiles for you.
I don’t doubt that at all. I just think he has more questions and I can answer them outside of a public feed.

I don't see anything special with the site.
Aren't some of the SWA's residents only or a SWA-specific tag for say elk? Without differentiating NR/R access, it's no help to me as a NR.
Without seeing the points required it's also no help to click on an area to find out it requires more points than what you have.
I don't see much value in posting links that are accessible on cpw, especially without much other information.
You only list SWA without any national forest or other hunting areas.
If you want to provide something unique, you can go above and beyond GoHunt and give us unit-specific info on:
man days vs harvest
man days vs bull harvest
harvest vs area(sq. miles)
bull harvest vs area
hunters vs area
etc...

I don't see anything special with the site.
Aren't some of the SWA's residents only or a SWA-specific tag for say elk? Without differentiating NR/R access, it's no help to me as a NR.
Without seeing the points required it's also no help to click on an area to find out it requires more points than what you have.
I don't see much value in posting links that are accessible on cpw, especially without much other information.
You only list SWA without any national forest or other hunting areas.
If you want to provide something unique, you can go above and beyond GoHunt and give us unit-specific info on:
man days vs harvest
man days vs bull harvest
harvest vs area(sq. miles)
bull harvest vs area
hunters vs area
etc...
Thanks for the feedback!

@Colorado-State-Hunt , you are taking this relentless ball-busting like a champ. It seems unnecessary and excessive to me. If you enjoyed making the site, whether the eventual goal is a future revenue stream or not, keep at it. F these guys.

As an aside, I wish I had your positive mindset and even temper. It would serve me much better than my current one.

@Colorado-State-Hunt , you are taking this relentless ball-busting like a champ. It seems unnecessary and excessive to me. If you enjoyed making the site, whether the eventual goal is a future revenue stream or not, keep at it. F these guys.

As an aside, I wish I had your positive mindset and even temper. It would serve me much better than my current one.
I appreciate this a lot.

So could I ask, what good will it do to help the thousands of hunters, resident and non resident alike, to have more access to more information like this? I see it as having a potential benefit, for sure, in escouting and planning your hunt, but there is a net negative I see by doing this, it makes it easier and easier for people to get specific info on places. You already spoke on wanting to purchase or sell waypoints. What good could come from that? Do you veiw that as ethical?

Same questions?
I don’t think that just because the information is easily accessible it’s going to put thousands more hunters on top of each other. The information is already out there and paid platforms like OnX and GoHunt give you way more information, almost to the point where you don’t know where to start. I wanted something that’s easy to understand so I had an idea of where to go. For me it worked. It put me in the correct spot and I was able to enjoy hunting more. I want more people to have that experience.

To your question about selling waypoints: I didn’t say that I was going to do that, another user said they wanted to sell there’s. All I am looking for is to connect with fellow hunters, talk about data that’s out there already.

I enjoy analyzing this stuff, because at the end of the day it’s just information. If I knew the exact spot you could hunt any of them I wouldn’t be posting it on a forum, I would be charging people for it.

I don’t think that just because the information is easily accessible it’s going to put thousands more hunters on top of each other. The information is already out there and paid platforms like OnX and GoHunt give you way more information, almost to the point where you don’t know where to start. I wanted something that’s easy to understand so I had an idea of where to go. For me it worked. It put me in the correct spot and I was able to enjoy hunting more. I want more people to have that experience.

To your question about selling waypoints: I didn’t say that I was going to do that, another user said they wanted to sell there’s. All I am looking for is to connect with fellow hunters, talk about data that’s out there already.

I enjoy analyzing this stuff, because at the end of the day it’s just information. If I knew the exact spot you could hunt any of them I wouldn’t be posting it on a forum, I would be charging people for it.
I think your first paragraph is the key to why people are bothered by these types of services.

You want people to enjoy more hunting, and to be more efficient in their data analysis. Those are good things to want for people. I get it, it’s kind.

However, a large percentage of people on this forum have seen area after area, and tag after tag become overcrowded and unobtainable.

Part of this is just that there are more people, sure, but a bigger part is that is waaaaaaaay easier now to find and utilize new areas.

I’m of the belief, as are many others, that the work and the “figuring it out” is part of the dues you pay. GoHunt is the poster-child for a tool designed to help, that ended up making everyone’s hunting worse. That may or may not be strictly true, as there are other parts to the story (tag cuts, population growth, etc.) but the timing leads one to place blame in that direction.

Don’t even get me started on the YouTube effect…

So is a strange dichotomy of feelings: we all support new hunters and hunting, while at the same time feeling trodden on by others for doing it. You’re hearing that frustration.

Just keep this in mind: you’re creating these tools to help people, but at some point you’re going to wish there weren’t so many people at “your spot”.

So could I ask, what good will it do to help the thousands of hunters, resident and non resident alike, to have more access to more information like this? I see it as having a potential benefit, for sure, in escouting and planning your hunt, but there is a net negative I see by doing this, it makes it easier and easier for people to get specific info on places.

Same questions?
I don't see the harm in access to more information in a better format. We already have access to the information.
If it's presented in an easy-to-read format and requires less work on my part, then yes it will be easier for others as well. But it's all relative, most guys aren't going to put in the work required and do the research, and more people aren't going to hunt because there is more data available.
The data isn't making it any easier to get into specific places on the mountain, that takes boot leather.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back