SF Giants Baseball?

uncle sage

I'd like to start a Giants thread.

I do like the Giant's lineup this year, much better than last. Is Crawford gonna to get his bat going? Eyeglasses?

Kelby, "specs" Tomilson. Seems like a nice guy, great speed, good glove at several positions, and a bit clutch. I think at least Most of us want him to succeed as a Regular Giants Player.

Tomlinson is a great dude. Gives a lot back to the community of Leberal, KS where he played CC and summer ball. I played a summer for the Bee Jays, and he is one well respected dude in that community.

That's nice to hear Cody, that much more of a reason to cheer for him to finally land a regular spot in the Giants lineup. The Giants have a history of getting guys that are good, nice people, sounds like Kelby fits right in. Tuff for him to break into the much admired and fan fav Crawford-Panic duo though but he does have a roll to fill on the Team and he does well at it. Now that i ponder, Crawford has been striking out often since the season began, a lot.

Yesterdays game when Mac W hit the wall chasing after that pop foul? Did you guys see that? He very well could have broken his neck. I commented in the MLB site that i post in that i think he is hurt and that it could be serious. Today they sat him with a "stiff Neck". Excuse me, i'm all for shaking off scrapes and bruises but this is a man's core strength or lack of it later thru life they are dealing with here and they act like no big deal, shake it off slugger. My opinion, he used his head in the wrong way, should have left that one to drop.

Yeah, he hit a HR after that crash into the wall but i think Mac was still playing to tuff guy and i can't blame him. It took awhile for him to feel needed and now he might have his doubts about his health. I'd insist on full ex-rays at least...and not just by the Team Dr. I do hope i'm just being unwarranted cautious with Big Mac Williamson but i do have my reasons.

Giants got whacked today, what 15-2? i fell asleep for awhile there at the end, guess i didn't miss much. We don't want our Giants thinking that they are too good do we?. They had a bit of Humble Pie to chew on after this game...but they did take 2 of 3 from Washington and the Angels, same-same, before that! Go Giants!

I was at Tuesday nights game! My first job was at the "Stick" selling soda's!

That was my team in the 60's. Mays was my hero. I liked those days when teams would stick together for years. McCovey, Cepeda, the Alou brothers, Hart, Haller, Fuentes, Marichal, Sadeki, Perry etc. I got to see one game at Candlestick, Giants vs Cubs. Night game, upper deck seats, with a cold wind off the bay that chilled you right through to the bones. Giants won, Mays doubled and Harvey Kuenn homered for the Cubs. Right around 1964.

sneakypete, i could vision wrapping my life around the game of Baseball. I could see going to most all the home games, spending a large chunk of my disposable income rooting for and supporting the Giants. Being out 8 miles north west of Livermore as a kid, out on the Ranch, the few trips i remember getting to go to the game in SF, were demanded by my Grandmother that carried a bunch of weight in the Family, but they were too few and far between. Baseball, seems i played the game at many different levels most of my life. I picked up a lot thru the years, might have made a fair Coach yet there's only so many trails a guy can travel if he's hoping to get to a particular spot. These past 10 years or so have seriously slowed me down, but i've watched even more Giants games through the internet than ever. Good on You for being able to be there!

Chuckarman, You would have loved listening to a day game, weren't they all day games back then?, out on the Ranch house porch, through Grandma's old leather wrapped battery operated Radio. She would scream top of her lungs if either Willie or any of the others you mentioned, got a home run. My word, those were good days. After the game i could loan you any of several deer rifles that were kept standing behind most every bedroom door in the house, lots of ammo in several different drawers, we could hike over the ridge behind the barn, or go two or three other ways, and see if we can't find you a buck. I liked to stretch my legs back then, unbelievable amount of country to hunt and being afoot means we'd have most of it to ourselves. A evening look see, we might run across 70-80 deer, a legal buck or two, and put in a few miles round trip. The work, the good food, the Giants game with Grandma, then scouting or hunting something depending, that's just the way it was. BTW, she made the best ever fried deer heart and eggs. The best! lol Are you still watching the games?

Giants had another day off. What's the matter with these guys, do they want to play baseball or not? days off?...lol
If you haven't heard it yet, here it is, "It's Early in the Season", there! Pretty soon i'll start in with the other well used excuses. Go Giants!

Uncle sage, I grew up in Petaluma and spent weekends at the Stick from age 14-16 either working Giants or Niner games and never got a foul ball! I now live in Oakdale.

Sorry ,there season ended when they left here from spring training. There luck has run out. Dbacks will rule the West this year. You can cheer for us cause we will beat the Dodgers too.....BOB!

sneaky, 14-16 years old back then was not so bad. Back then those years, i was either putting hay in our barns or at the County Fair in P-Town, Pleasanton. Either place, i rarely missed scouting or hunting evenings. One year about then, i remember getting back from the Fairgrounds to archery hunt the evening, 4th of July. The season was open and i had just bought a new Ben Pearson 45# recurve bow. Hay bales and paper plates, i was deadly. Shooting at real Bucks, not so good. Some of the skills i learned back then, still use today. I never got a foul ball either...lol

Bob, good luck with those Diamondbacks this year. I'm not by any means throwing in any towel but it's not hard to see why Arizona is doing as well as they have so far.

I see where they are looking more into the possible seriousness on Mac Williamson's neck injury. Sometimes it's just not fun to be right, i wish the Boy Well!

Giants Beat the Dodgers tonight! Kelby with the pinch hit RBI Double in the 7th to come back and tie it up. How nice, friggen rights it was! Go Giants

Chuckarman, You would have loved listening to a day game, weren't they all day games back then?, out on the Ranch house porch, through Grandma's old leather wrapped battery operated Radio. She would scream top of her lungs if either Willie or any of the others you mentioned, got a home run. My word, those were good days. After the game i could loan you any of several deer rifles that were kept standing behind most every bedroom door in the house, lots of ammo in several different drawers, we could hike over the ridge behind the barn, or go two or three other ways, and see if we can't find you a buck. I liked to stretch my legs back then, unbelievable amount of country to hunt and being afoot means we'd have most of it to ourselves. A evening look see, we might run across 70-80 deer, a legal buck or two, and put in a few miles round trip. The work, the good food, the Giants game with Grandma, then scouting or hunting something depending, that's just the way it was. BTW, she made the best ever fried deer heart and eggs. The best! lol Are you still watching the games?

That sounds like a great childhood to me and grandma's deer heart and eggs is right up my alley . I forgot that that deer season started in the summer.
I now follow the Mariners. We get the games here and it's our closest team even though Seattle is over 400 miles from us. We make it to a game every couple years but want to make it a yearly event. Safeco is a beautiful ballpark.

Thanks for all the comments guys, nice to see. Couple things...

Well well, the Giants won 3 of 4 from the LA Dodgers, how Nice! Few expected the Giants this year to rise up and perform to play-off caliber ball but i'm serving notice right here that this is a Team that will surprise many of those that have already written them off. This Team has Potential.

With our Ace Mad Bum out for a couple months, his absence has not really hurt the Team as much as i expected it would. Some of our young guys, both pitchers and fielders, are really stepping up showing that they belong. It's been awhile since we've brought up guys from the minors that have had a positive impact on the Big League Club but this year feels different. Some of those who tried to stick before, now finally seem ready for the task, they're getting their chance, and for the most part they are getting it done. About time, hallelujah!

Next we host San Diego starting this evening. They have a history of beating us even in years where the Giants were clearly the better team, proceed with caution. I like it that we are back to playing .500 ball, that it has taken a stretch of games playing better than that against good teams to get there, and that there is no reason that we can't build from the Teams trending success's and tromp all over folks going forward.

Go Giants!

What a thrilling walk-off victory it was over that confounding nemesis group from San Diego. i tried out a new way to style my rally-cap there in the 9th inning, it worked, i got us covered. Don't look now all wise ones who've had us pegged as a cellar dweller, the Giant's are playing some pretty good Ball!

Our reserves, bench guys coming in later in the games, are a good group, much better than those of recent years. Go Giants!

The bad news first, Madison Bumgarner has been cleared to throw a baseball. That's bad for us because from now until he's ready to start a game for the Giants, could still be a month or more away. Johnny Cueto has developed elbow problems and is checking with a second opinion. Often, a second opinion is to see if Tommy John is the only following move. He has been so solid this season, a huge loss for us if indeed he has the season ending surgery. Finally, I still think Big Mac Williamson may be more hurt with structural damage than either the Giants or himself knows but the plan is for him to be back in the lineup within the next couple games.

The good news, we won our 4th series in a row, 7 out of the last 10 games, the latest taking 2 of 3 from S.Diego. Congrats are due to the Giants and their Coach Bruce Bochy. They have exceeded most everyone's expectations, including my own. After a not so great start to the season, these guys are showing up, stepping up, and for the most part, playing great Baseball.

Several stop big road trip next after a well deserved day off. We'll first be facing a hot Atlanta Braves team.

Go Giants!

More of the same, the Giants are still wining, just took a sweet 3 game sweep of a previously red hot Atlanta Braves Team, and gaining ground on the leader board. Couple things,

Bruce Bochy, i like how he's working the entire roster, days off, getting guys AB's, working the pen. I can't find fault anywhere. Stuff is is going to happen but Boch is doing a great job.

Some are saying that we are a better Team without Hunter Pence, him playing/ rehabbing at AAA Sacramento readying to be called back to the big club and replacing someone presently playing. Pretty sure that he's going to get another shot. Sure be nice to see Pence go out a Champion, as he is already, and on his own terms. Mixed feelings on this one.

Don't know about you guys but i cringe and turn the sound off when our closer, Hunter Strickland, takes the ball in the 9th with the Giants in the lead. I almost don't want to see it. My guess is he will soon not be our closer.

Next victim, could be Philly as we play them next. Fair warning Philly's Fans, you guys better bring it cause when the Giants come to town, it's bye bye baby! Should be a good series, Go Giants!

Last edited:
My uncle's favorite team is the SF Giants and has attended games since 1960s at Candlestick then Pac Bell though he is now in his 80s so only watches them on TV now. I grew up a KC A's fan and attended a few games as a small kid then they left for Oakland so when the Royals came to KC they became my team. My dad is old enough the only MO team was the St. Louis Cards so that is his team. I go on eBay when the Giants make the World Series and pick up a couple of the towels they give out to fans then send to my uncle. He has them in a pile on his desk at home next to pictures of the family.

I go to spring training games in PHX each spring. The newer stadiums being built for spring training have lots of areas outside the stadium footprint for just pitchers, batters, etc. The Diamondbacks have access to that type of facility in Scottsdale. The Giants are just the ballpark and are land-locked by old Scottsdale downtown. The stadium is getting a slight upgrade but keeps the feel as if was 1950. I like that.

If you have never been to spring training in PHX and like baseball then put it on your bucket list. Tickets are inexpensive as is the food and drink. Parking is sometimes free. Most seats are within 60 rows of the field. Temps generally in 60s with sunshine though can be near freezing or closer to 80s. If sunburn easily, look for seats in the shade. Otherwise, the grass zone or seats in the sun will do just fine. I am always there for St. Patty's, catch a few games and enjoy the sunshine.

Just won there fifth straight series by Sweeping the braves, better yet Kershaw is back on the DL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back