Yeti GOBOX Collection

Separating Out Elk Roasts

CubsFan

When people talk about doing roasts are they generally doing a whole muscle group or is it just a hunk of meat? For example I froze a top sirloin off my elk's hindquarter and now want to use it as a roast. Using the whole thing would probably be bigger than I want. Should I just cut it in half? Any tips on cutting the larger muscle groups down into usable roasts?

Just cut it to the size you need. When all my kids were home I would leave them whole. Now, they get cut into thirds and packaged individually.

Roasts can be a whole muscle or a combination of more. Generally speaking though, a roast is a whole muscle. Like elkantlers said, just cut it to the size you need. I'm actually a bigger fan of cooking the roast first and then re-freezing the leftovers in single servings. That way I'm more likely to get good lunches! The other consideration is if you cut down a roast and still cook the piece like a roast it doesn't always cook the same since it is a smaller piece of meat. Some roasts like eye of round and sirloin tip lend well to cutting smaller and cooking more like a steak but others like chuck and the tougher roasts really do better as a whole cooked in a braise.

I take the top sirloin out as a whole muscle group and don't separate them individually. I cut it crossways into 2" thick roasts on an elk, or on a deer I typically leave it as one roast. These are fantastic cooked medium rare on the Traeger.

Cut it however you want. The way you cook it makes more difference. Cook thick steaks like a roast and you have a roast. My rounds are always roasts. They are tough, but in an instapot, they are fabulous. Usually, the roast is going to be larger pieces of meat, as the main difference. Nothing special here, don't overthink it.

Also remember when sectioning out your muscle groups there is a large gland in between the eye of round and the outside round; easily noticeable on the inside bottom 1/4 in the seam, do your best not to cut it or leave it with the roasts. Next time I shoot and cut one up I will post a pic of it. N now that I think of it there are also some glands on and around the shoulder that I will show the same thing. Causes a foul taste and can turn some new hunters off on wild game.

We do a "rolled shoulder roast" here. As the sections of muscles are removed from the blade of the front shoulder, I keep them as intact as I can and roll them like a newspaper (all the muscles are kinda flat) and tie with butchers twine. Of course I remove as much gristle as I can prior to rolling the roast up in the kitchen. Take a mix of minced garlic, minced cremini mushrooms, rosemary, and some extra virgin olive oil, and slather that on the inside of the roast, prior to rolling it up and tieing. Slow cook in an enameld cast iron dutch oven on a bed of carrots, onions and celery, and boy is that dang good! It works great with deer sized game, but might be a bit too big with elk and larger game.

Gary

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back