Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sell me a rain jacket

R

rwc101

The guy I'm going pheasant hunting with in SD says we should be prepared for wet weather. I don't want to buy a real nice rain jacket just to have it torn up in the brush. Anyone have an affordable option for rain jackets that don't suck?

I run a Carhartt rain jacket at work, and it doesn’t suck. It’s definitely durable and it hasn’t wet through even in some pretty major rain storms. I think it goes for around $100

Wet snowy or wet rainy?

All day rain or rainy but not climbing up mountains and having to worry about weight I'm bringing a Grundens Neptune 319 ($89)

For like intermittent wet/doing outdoor chores, day hike, something where I'm gong inside at the end of the day I'd probably grab a north face or carhartt rain jacket in the $90

Lots of rain and wind, backpack hunting, out for days at a time, spend the money and buy arc'teryx.

I bought a stretchy raincoat recently from REI. I don't recall the brand, but it's pretty nice actually. Seems pretty durable as well. But wearing a raincoat while pheasant hunting will leave you wet anyway. The sweat and condensation will get you if the rain doesn't. Pheasant hunting is not like deer hunting. It's hard work.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been pheasant hunting a few times, so I figured I'd get sweaty wearing a rain jacket. At this point, who knows whether it will be rain, snow, or shine.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been pheasant hunting a few times, so I figured I'd get sweaty wearing a rain jacket. At this point, who knows whether it will be rain, snow, or shine.

The columbia with the big pit vents might be your ticket.

Get llamas to carry your birds.

Dude that's caddies job... the llamas are to carry the glencairn crystal. I refuse to drink pappy out of a high ball like some cretin...though to be quite frank I think Yamazaki might be a better pheasant whisky.

I've got a lightweight Columbia. It's a pretty good jacket and while I wouldn't use it for big game, it would be perfect for upland. Seem to think it was around $60-70.

Just tell the guy you want to hunt the short fields and to place the birds in close ;)

"the guy"? "place the birds"?

My world is a bit different than that. Copious rainfall has the grass over 8 ft this year. There ain't no short nothin'

Dude that's caddies job... the llamas are to carry the glencairn crystal. I refuse to drink pappy out of a high ball like some cretin.

We are but mere peasants with our Michter's and Glenmorangie.

I'm not sure I could endure that level of suffering

"the guy"? "place the birds"?

My world is a bit different than that. Copious rainfall has the grass over 8 ft this year. There ain't no short nothin'

Next thing your going to tell me is that you actually clean your own birds...

The 10 or the 12 year old Glenmoranige? PErsonally, it's tough to beat their 18, but when in Rome, I suppose.

Bourbon snobs should remember that good bourbon doesn't need crystal in the field. That's reserved for camp. A sterling silver flask is the only appropriate field utensil for imbibing. You are outdoorsing, afterall.

The 10 or the 12 year old Glenmoranige? PErsonally, it's tough to beat their 18, but when in Rome, I suppose.

Bourbon snobs should remember that good bourbon doesn't need crystal in the field. That's reserved for camp. A sterling silver flask is the only appropriate field utensil for imbibing. You are outdoorsing, afterall.

Usually the 10, but 12 for holidays/special occasions. Rumor has it my dad was gifted a bottle of 18 that he's going to break out for the trip. Fingers crossed.

Back