Caribou Gear

Seek Outside Cimmaron vs Cimmaron Light?

Luke_with_a_lab

I'm looking at the Seek Outside tents. Currently comparing Cimmaron vs the Cimmaron Light but just cant choose between them. Anyone have any experience with either of them that could help me decide one way or another? Seems like the light version is nice because it gives you even room on both sides of the tent when you have a stove in. However, it seems like the Cimmaron original may have better/ re-enforced stake loops.

I have a Redcliff Light. The Light puts the stove in the center of the tent, opposite the door, which I think is ideal. Obviously only having one door limits your ventilation, but I’ve never needed more ventilation than the one door gave me.

Gritty has a great podcast on this very question with owner and founder Kevin Tim. That being said I have the standard Cimarron and love it. My advice is get the largest stove they recommend. The larger stoves save on wood prep time and burn a bit longer.

Gritty has a great podcast on this very question with owner and founder Kevin Tim. That being said I have the standard Cimarron and love it. My advice is get the largest stove they recommend. The larger stoves save on wood prep time and burn a bit longer.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the podcast. How long does your stove burn before having to stoke it ?

I have the Redcliff light and it's just big enough for my fiance and I, plus all our gear and a stove. I was looking at the Cimarron at first, but am glad I went a bit bigger, even if it was just for me. It's just nice to be able to have all my gear stored inside and not in the rain/ elements. Also, you have to keep in mind that you could end up spending a day or two in the tent if the weather really turns. They start to get cramped really quick lol.
The tent is very light but also very well made and is tougher than you'd think. The only downside is that setup can be a pain so make sure you practice a few times before your actual hunt or trip.
Also, I wouldn't t worry about worry about it with the Cimarron, but the footprint of the Redcliff is just a little bigger than the footprint of most bear fences which we had to use in Wyoming last year. I actually had to improvise and tie the fence over the tent in a few places to keep it from touching.
As far as the stove; they sure are nice- especially when you wakeup to blowing snow. I opted for the Kifaru stove because it was the lightest one I could find for the size. They are all thin and krinkly but they do the job. As stated above, the most you'll get out of a tent stove is maybe an hour tops.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back