Second guessing

Mosquito

Ok everyone take it easy on me. Last year we went to Wyoming on are first western trip . We had a great time brought home some antelope meat and made it home safe. We have 1 pp in Montana and were planning on going deer hunting. There seems to be some real tension on this subject so im going to try and walk on glass. With everyones poor reports on Montana deer should we move forward with are plan or just put in for Wyoming cow elk tags ? We have 8 pp in Wyoming for mule deer and elk but having never hunted either i really dont want to burn all those points with no clue on what were doing. No were not looking for a 200 in deer . Just some time away from home with some buddies see some wildlife ,have a few beers when the day is over. Laugh a little have a chance at killing a few decent bucks and make it back home to are families. Im sure there will be some of the normal ... there's no deer in Montana or ya better stay home . I am looking for a little guidance its time to make up are minds . If we put in for Wyoming elk i believe i have to have that in by the end of January. Thanks for any replies and pms are fine

Last edited:
I think you'd learn some things hunting montana that would be beneficial for a hunt in Wyoming in the future. Also, Montana is a fun hunt, a lot of people just don't set realistic expectations as far as quality of deer they will see and numbers of other hunters they will see. It only bothers you if you let it. I'd say pick an area in Montana and come with a plan to enjoy it.

The thing about Montana is the tag is good for a lot of area. You can find quality deer if your willing to walk or willing to be patient enough for one to jump a fence. Having a few laughs is standard for the folks I choose to hunt with and you will see some wildlife and scenery for sure.

I would add that if your wanting to learn go early in the season, apples to apples. Chances are you will be hunting October bucks in Wyo. Learning where and how to hunt them the same time of year would be beneficial. Hunting deer in the heart of the rut teaches you bucks are dumber and to focus on does. Not real helpful when you show up in wyoming oct 1st. Other than that you got a Montana point might as well use it and go have fun!

Last edited:
I would add that if your wanting to learn go early in the season, apples to apples. Chances are you will be hunting October bucks in Wyo. Learning where and how to hunt them the same time of year would be beneficial. Hunting deer in the heart of the rut teaches you bucks are dumber and to focus on does. Not real helpful when you show up in wyoming oct 1st. Other than that you got a Montana point might as well use it and go have fun!
I think thats good advice thank you ( would not have thought of that )

+1 on going to Montana. I went to Montana for the first time this year - I had a great time and I shot my biggest whitetail to date thus far. I also agree with going as early as you can to keep conditions a little closer to Wyoming. Even though a lot of information won't carry over from state to state, you'll learn more about hunting deer out west which in my opinion is still worth it. I think this forum has some of the most spirited discussion on Montana deer hunting that I have seen anywhere on the internet, which is saying something. I think a lot of that is based on how many members are residents or have been hunting the state for years and years, so its hard to get a feel for what Montana is actually like without the first hand experience these guys have. I think there are legitimate problems in Montana and a definite downward trend in deer hunting but in my rookie opinion it's absolutely worth the trip given your expectations. Not saying there is anything wrong with grabbing a cow elk tag in Wyoming, but if you guys want to run to Montana I say go for it.

This is a interesting point that makes me question do you actually have a plan for those points? 8 points for deer in wy means your holding out for typically 2 hunts a G tag(september) or rut tag (november) more than likely. Either tag (if that is goal) will likely be last time you hunt it so at some point your going to have to hunt a unknown area. I would focus on cow tags in aimed elk areas as those dates will be fairly close. Another factor could be cost as I am cheap and cost of mt deer tag vs a reduced wy cow makes it easy. A deer hunt in mt is solid trip, but other years i think a cow trip should be your focus until you go after your bull.

Last edited:
This is a interesting point that makes me question do you actually have a plan for those points? 8 points for deer in wy means your holding out for typically 2 hunts a G tag(september) or rut tag (november) more than likely. Either tag (if that is goal) will likely be last time you hunt it so at some point your going to have to hunt a unknown area. I would focus on cow tags in aimed elk areas as those dates will be fairly close. Another factor could be cost as I am cheap and cost of mt deer tag vs a reduced wy cow makes it easy. A deer hunt in mt is solid trip, but other years i think a cow trip should be your focus until you go after your bull.
Nope no plans other than i not burning them till i feel i have somewhat of this western hunting figured out. I learned a ton hunting last year . 3 or 4 more trips ill start entering the draw for Wyoming deer or elk. I think you have a great opinion. Montana deer this year and cow tags or even mule deer doe tags until im ready . Ive never even had 1 bite of elk meat.

I have never taken a whitetail buck and would like to go give it a shot. Is Montana the place I should go or should I be looking elsewhere? Like Mosquito, not looking for a monster but a good representative of the species.

I think Montana gets a lot of unnecessary hate when it comes to deer hunting. Ya its really busy (especially by the roads) but if you get off and do some walking or take advantage of small pieces of public land you can find those rare big bucks. This last year was my second year hunting mule deer in montana and I learned a lot each year! Plus all 3 of us filled our deer tags and we have gotten a couple of decent sized bucks over the last 2 years there. I would say go to montana and learn and have fun! Like others said, you can go in october so its closer to how the deer will be in wyoming when you eventually go on that hunt or go during the rut and probably have your best chance at taking a bigger sized buck. If it was me id go during the rut because you are still going to learn a ton.

Back