Yeti GOBOX Collection

Seating depth

Funter

Hi all,

I have a question about how deep to seat a bullet.I took a sized case put a bullet in it and inserted it into my rifle and closed the bolt.I then removed the two and measured the length with a caliper.The over all length was .050 longer than the factory specs.My question is how far off the lands should you seat the bullet? I would appreciate any help given.

Thx
Tim

First - welcome to Moosie's! Don't take us too seriously - we don't.

With most of my guns, I run out of magazine length before I get close to the lands...

What works for my rifles (and they are all different) may not (probably won't) work for yours. The best thing to do is try a "standard" OAL and work up from there in small increments, 3 or 5 rounds at a time. Start at the small end, and shoot groups with the different lengths to see which works best. Unless you are shooting a single shot or are willing to accept that limitation on your repeater, remember the limitation caused by your magazine length.

eek.gif
Remember - do not seat the bullet touching the lands as that will spike pressures !
eek.gif

I find a lot of other things more important than being close to the lands - but that's just me.

Funter, Welcome to Hunttalk... Like CH said, we like to have some fun with stuff, so keep your guard up. As for reloading and seating depth, I agree with CH on that also. I've found that seating to the Max COL specified in the loading manual will produce the most consistant accuracy. If you try to get too close to the lands of the rifling, you run the risk of increasing chamber pressure to an unsafe level. That is especially true if you tend to load to max levels like some of us do...

cool.gif

Thank You,

I will start with the recommended oal and see how it shoots and work from there.I dont plan on loading the max charge, the manual i have has the most accurate load marked so that is where i plan on starting. If i need to change things i will do it in small incraments.Any more advice is welcome.

Tim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back