SE Wyoming Antelope - 1st time Hunt

Revharvey9576

Planning a trip to SE Wyoming Unit 48 for Antelope. Fortunate to draw a buck permit and purchase a doe permit for Hunt Type 2. Will be flying in from N.Carolina for my first trip to the west...CANT WAIT!

:eek:Any pointers or tips would be well appreciated. Having primarily hunted whitetails, turkey, small game, waterfowl in the hardwoods and pine of NC. This will be a definite change of pace.

P.S. Planning on hunting the southern part of the unit. Already drawn permission for one HMA..waiting on next drawing.

I'd practice out to 300-400 yards. Get comfortable with those ranges, I've seen a ton of goats knocked down between 3-350. I use shooting sticks a lot, it helps get above tall grass and sage brush, better IMO than a rifle mounted bipod. I like the kind that you kneel with. I'd recomend getting a good pair and practice shooting off them. Good luck and take tons of pics!

If you dont have some already get some high quality high power glass. When i have been back east in the GA pines my 10x42 are too powerful because it is so congested back there but when i was using them out here in the west the power was fine but the quality of glass is poor which i found by looking at longer distance(redfields). Get some Leopolds or Nikons to help make that decision to pursue or not pursue a lot easier and more confident. Hope this helps.

If you dont have some already get some high quality high power glass. When i have been back east in the GA pines my 10x42 are too powerful because it is so congested back there but when i was using them out here in the west the power was fine but the quality of glass is poor which i found by looking at longer distance(redfields). Get some Leopolds or Nikons to help make that decision to pursue or not pursue a lot easier and more confident. Hope this helps.

+1 on some good glass.

Sounds like I'll probably see you there. It will be my first time in that area also.

I've never hunted that area but I've driven through a few times. The antelope seam to be everywhere and each group has a good buck in it. I would be patient and glass as much as possible.

Bring coolers and get that goat on ice ASAP! They are mighty fine eating, but you have got to take care of them right away.

Also, practice long shots (as mentioned already) and bring lot of bullets (as mentioned already). Ashamed to say that my first antelope hunt was interrupted while I bought another box of 150 grs. in a nearby town.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back