SE Montana

802flyfish

Looks like the wife and the dog will be heading to their parents house for Thanksgiving. With nothing better to do, I reserved the Diamond Butte look out from 27-29th of Nov.

I’ve searched this forum for every thread I could about Broadus and the surrounding area. Figured it wouldn’t hurt to see if anyone else would be willing to share information.

I’ll be excited to shoot anything with horns at this point, not picky by any means. I’m willing to put the miles in and get off the roads. Are BMA’s worth checking out in this region? Or should I just concentrate on areas around Diamond Butte? I’m hoping I can glass from there..

Any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Never been there but I would think finding a buck should be easy especially if your not fussy on antler size

I live in SW MT. Should of already purchased a set. I was around West Yellowstone the other day and it was a close call, almost got stuck on a FS road couple miles in.

I wouldn’t buy chains just for that trip. You shouldn’t need them down there
I wouldn't go to SE Montana this time of year without chains. One set is good, two sets is best.

I've had to chain up a number of times on hunts in SE Montana...on the county roads!

I’ve never hunted Mule deer. With the rut occurring, is it more effective to glass and stalk or just hike until I find something?

Are elk prevalent in this corner of the state? I see that I can harvest an antlerless Elk on BMA and BLM in that unit. Would be nice to put a cow in the freezer as well.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go to SE Montana this time of year without chains. One set is good, two sets is best.

I've had to chain up a number of times on hunts in SE Montana...on the county roads!

I lived there for 8 years and only used them once as just a little extra insurance going down a hill. Not a bad idea to have some but I wouldn’t sweat it if you don’t have any

I lived there for 8 years and only used them once as just a little extra insurance going down a hill. Not a bad idea to have some but I wouldn’t sweat it if you don’t have any

I was hopelessly stuck a couple of times in that country that without chains, I would have been walking a long ways. @antlerradar s neighbor got me out of a real pickle one time because I didn't chain up. It involved snow, gumbo, and a horse trailer. Not fun.

We drive around till we find a good area with lots of track. Then head up higher and look for them heading towards their bedding area. No use hiking if there is no deer.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back