SE Idaho Moose

I finally drew a moose tag this year in unit 76-3. Anyone have any experience in the area? I have hunted elk just to the south of this unit, so I have only driven through 76-3. Any thoughts on some areas to start glassing? Thanks in advance for the help.

That's hilarious! That pretty much sums up all of my experience with draw units in my home state. I have put in for elk and deer for a decade and a half, and this is the first year I put in for moose. Go figure.

Best of luck! My parents each killed a moose in the lower area of Diamond Creek back in the 90's, but we've never been up to that area. And info from 30 years ago probably wouldn't be that good anyway lol.

Have any of you used a horn when calling for moose? Any recommendations, or is a horn really beneficial? Thanks for the replies so far!

"Have any of you used a horn when calling for moose? Any recommendations, or is a horn really beneficial? Thanks for the replies so far!"

On my Montana Moose hunt, I used a whiffle ball bat with both ends cut off as a "horn". It was one of the fat, plastic bats. I left the neoprene like grip on it to deaden the vibration a bit, and wrapped it in camo tape since the whole thing was neon green- it is a toy after all- a couple holes in the large end with a loop of 550 cord run through it allowed me to clip the fat end to my pack with a carabiner, while the skinny end either got strapped to the pack or placed in the water bottle pocket on the pack. This kept it from swinging around wildly. It definitely projects your calling better than hands alone, and it's a much cheaper alternative that an advertised "moose call". I've since repurposed it as an elk bugle for use with a diaphragm, and it works great in that capacity as well. I would also recommend a beef scapula for raking trees. I found this to be far more effective for drawing in bulls than any amount of calling.

Well, I finally filled my tag. I saw only 3 moose in as many weeks of hunting. I know I put over 100 miles on the boots. I talked to every archery hunter I could and not one had any information for me.

I can honestly say that it was the hardest and most frustrating hunt I’ve ever done, so I was extremely pleased when I finally came across a bull. I had to do 7 trips to pack him out and it was a 1,200 foot elevation difference to the truck. It was a tough hunt but I am super happy with how everything turned out.

I would recommend bringing a friend though, it was a bit more work than I’d imagine. Thanks to everyone for all the help!

4AD404B6-E907-4078-9D9E-F76AE20F205B.jpeg811C40CD-2CE0-42B9-AA53-6B500BC51804.jpeg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back