Caribou Gear Tarp

SD Praire Turkeys???

wisconsinteacher

I'm looking at applying for a spring prairie turkey tag. I know land is limited, but are there areas where a guy could get into some birds? Is a guy better off looking at other options?

I am by no means a SD turkey expert, but I was visiting my parents in Ipswich in October and on my drive home I saw turkeys about 35 minutes east of Aberdeen on Route 12, which surprised the heck out of me. It was definitely flat and rather treeless so IO wouldn't have expected to see them there.

Then as I got closer to Millbank I saw some more. That area is close to the Minnesota border and it is more of a river bluff landscape with rolling hills and a lot more tree cover. I would think if you looked into some public land near Millbank or similar area long the border with Minnesota north or south you could find birds.

There might be less pressure there too since I think most out of state turkey hunters go out to the Black Hills. I'm sure local hunters know about the turkeys, but I doubt many out of staters travel to the area to get on turkeys.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

The few times I've ventured into the custer, I've seen turkey's, seen them a few times along the river bottoms in that area too.

There might be less pressure there too since I think most out of state turkey hunters go out to the Black Hills. I'm sure local hunters know about the turkeys, but I doubt many out of staters travel to the area to get on turkeys.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    667.2 KB · Views: 4
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back