MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Scope Sunshade?

TexAg09

Last year I got a screaming deal ($40) for a Cabela's Alpha 3x12 scope for my .308 WIN. At the time I was mainly setting it up for varmint hunting here in Central Texas. However, now I'm planning on using it on my 1st western hunt in UT (If I draw). The problem is that they don't make a sunshade that fits this scope. I've never really needed one before, but I've never hunted out west before either. How important do you feel a sunshade is for your scope, and how often do you actually use it? I like the scope, but is it worth replacing it because of this? I appreciate your feedback.

Last edited:
Very rarely have I used a sunshade on a scope, I wouldn't worry about replacing a scope that lacks it .............. unless you really want a new scope, then by all means tell the Mrs. that they're essential.

It's dropped 3 deer and several coyotes already, so I feel pretty good with it. As an old man told me once, "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." It's actually $150 scope, but with sales and coupons it was $40. Also, when I first put the setup together it was just going to be a varmint gun, not my big game hunter. However, once I decided to go after a western hunt I realized my 270 weighed a ton. This rig is light and I shoot it well so far.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...eader%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=alpha+scope

Last edited:
A $150 scope? It may work alright for now, but in scopes as with a lot of things you get what you pay for.
I think a sunshade will be the least of your worries.
Just my .02 worth.

I have draped a jacket or heavy shirt over my head when shooting from prone position on bright days. Allows the pupil to enlarge and the result is a crisper view of the target. I have shade guards on my binos and are good when am perpendicular to the sun.

Sorry, I forgot you had to drop at least $1,000 on optics to be able to hunt. I somehow missed that in the regs for this hunt....

Never felt the need for a sunshade. I don't think I've ever been in a shooting position where sun was a negative factor. I figured a sunshade was a better varmint/target item while shooting all day in bright light.

Put it on the 308, shoot it plenty and see how it works.

I've never had a sun shade in 30+ years of western hunting. Once I had a deer that was backlit by the sun in the morning and I couldn't see it through the scope, but that was the exception.

In addition to spending $1000 on a scope, considering picking up some $600 pants and $100 performance underwear ;).

Never felt the need for a sunshade. I don't think I've ever been in a shooting position where sun was a negative factor. I figured a sunshade was a better varmint/target item while shooting all day in bright light.

Put it on the 308, shoot it plenty and see how it works.

Seems reasonable to me. I mean, you'll spend a couple minutes (at most) looking through your scope. As long as your target is still visible (which I've never had a problem with and never used a sunshade) then you should be fine.

I also have never used a sunshade and have lived and hunted in Montana all my life. Oh, and my old .270 has a cheap Simmns 3x9 scope on it because that is all I could afford way back when I purchased the set up 26 years ago. Believe it or not that gun has killed a large amount of deer, antelope and elk over the years. No desire to update the scope

Sorry, I forgot you had to drop at least $1,000 on optics to be able to hunt. I somehow missed that in the regs for this hunt....

Well if you think about binoculars, rifle scope and a range finder as base requirements then yes $333/item is about right for the cheapest thing I would trust on a hunt where I have $500-$1000 tied up in tags alone.

The Cabelas Alpha is a pretty good price point scope. Don't worry about a sunshade....stick around and good luck in the draw.

Well if you think about binoculars, rifle scope and a range finder as base requirements then yes $333/item is about right for the cheapest thing I would trust on a hunt where I have $500-$1000 tied up in tags alone.

Well, I have a pair of Vortex 10x42s and a borrowed spotter, but I'm still in the market for the range finder. I have a feeling I'm still going to be short. Haha!

I do appreciate everyone's feedback on their use of sunshades.

I wouldn't sweat it. I have several scopes with sunshades and have never needed them in the field.
On a side note, congrats on the 2OT win last night. Unfortunately, my team (SFA) was 1.5 seconds short!
25/05 Rem

I wouldn't sweat it. I have several scopes with sunshades and have never needed them in the field.
On a side note, congrats on the 2OT win last night. Unfortunately, my team (SFA) was 1.5 seconds short!
25/05 Rem

Thanks. We got pretty lucky. I hated to see Walkup and the boys get beat. I was pulling for y'all.

The sun doesn't shine any differently in Utah than it does Texas, other than it may be smaller in Utah (everything is bigger in Texas, right?).

If you don't need on there you likely don't need it in Utard either. I can only think of a couple of times I've wanted/needed one, and both times I was able to improvise with a ballcap.

The sun doesn't shine any differently in Utah than it does Texas, other than it may be smaller in Utah (everything is bigger in Texas, right?).

If you don't need on there you likely don't need it in Utard either. I can only think of a couple of times I've wanted/needed one, and both times I was able to improvise with a ballcap.

Eh, my area is pretty flat. I wasn't sure if the terrain would make any difference. Good point though.

One thing you're going to want to look for in a range finder is angle compensation and preferably a red illuminated reticle. The black reticles are hard to see in early mornings and at dusk..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back