Caribou Gear

Scope Shim's

wa_archer

So got a new Leupold vx-3i recently and finally got out today to shoot. Got the windage dialed but my elevation was 12 inches high at 100yds with the turret bottomed out. I have never messed with shims but after talking to a local guy who does a lot of shooting and the drinking and destruction of a beer can I shimmed the rear scope base with two shims of aluminum. I know someone has lots of experience is this going to work? He claims its how he does all of his shimming and I have to admit the guy can shoot lights out. Now need to find some more range time to get out and put some more rounds down range.

I had to shim my Savage 99. Kind of unusual on a modern rifle.

I did the alum can shim to raise my scope that hair above the barrel to avoid having to buy higher mounts. Horrible decision. It didn't work out.

Nothing wrong with shimming a base with a can. Shimming the rear is going to make you even bigger though.

Shims didn’t seem to work for the previous owner of this Savage I bought to rebarrel. Guessing that’s why he sold it. 😂😉. That’s all I can think of now anyone talks about aluminum shims in scope rings...or when people mention White Claw.

Attachments

• 09DA4D2A-60E0-4F61-89A2-AC75B394B967.jpeg
    09DA4D2A-60E0-4F61-89A2-AC75B394B967.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 6
  • E7DE7387-0575-4DDE-9A3C-845DB5214B0B.jpeg
    E7DE7387-0575-4DDE-9A3C-845DB5214B0B.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 6
I've never messed with shimming bases or rings via aluminum can but I know a ton of guys used to do it. Personally I prefer to use the Burris Signature moa shim system but haven't found it necessary outside of wanting more MOA to push shots beyond 1000 yards.

Its a Winchester Model 70 featherweight, unsure on rings used the same ones that were put on there 16 years ago when bought it and original leupold 3x9 was put on.

I'd ensure you have the right rings and bases before you worry about shimming. I believe there were some actions over the years that required different ring heights than others. It's also possible the front and rear rings are swapped.

I put a Leupold 3x9 on a Knight Muzzleloader and had to use a pepsi shim to get the elevation correct. Thats' the only time I have ever had to do that but it worked fine.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back